Premed 101 Forums

• 2 months later...

How likely would it be for me to apply with a cGPA of 3.04. I haven't written CARS yet, but do I stand a chance of getting accepted? Has anyone heard of someone getting accepted with an average that low?

Please be honest. I really want to go to med school and have made a lot of mistakes in my undergrad which I deeply regret, but am trying to pick myself up and the proper extracurricular experience at least. Does MAC look at ECs as much as they do with GPA? Cuz I've done a couple of years of research, no publications though. I'm going in to my 5th year now.

On 5/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, Eliza123 said:

How likely would it be for me to apply with a cGPA of 3.04. I haven't written CARS yet, but do I stand a chance of getting accepted? Has anyone heard of someone getting accepted with an average that low?

Please be honest. I really want to go to med school and have made a lot of mistakes in my undergrad which I deeply regret, but am trying to pick myself up and the proper extracurricular experience at least. Does MAC look at ECs as much as they do with GPA? Cuz I've done a couple of years of research, no publications though. I'm going in to my 5th year now.

If you want a numeric answer, it has been said that McMaster uses z-scores to rank applications. It's a completely mathematical formula, with GPA, CARS, and CASPER having equal weight.

​Look at these stats posted on the "chance-me" thread (pinned at the top of the mcmaster premed101 forum):

Verbal Reasoning Data: Mean 10.99, SD 1.07

Undergraduate GPA Data: Mean 3.83, SD 0.146

A 3.03 is 5.3 standard deviations below the mean for successful applicants. If you want to be like the average successful applicant, your z-score for CASPER and CARS combined has to be around 5.0, maybe slightly less. That will probably be good enough to scrape u an interview, after which the interview is worth so much that you can certainly get in past the interview stage.

​So how to do that? Well, let's say u KILL the casper and score 3 SDs above. Then you'd need to score 2 SDs above on the VR. You're welcome to look up previous year admission stats at McMaster, and calculate the SD and mean for CARS scores. It means you'd have to get the CARS equivalent of a 13 or 14 on the VR section, which is very rare but not unheard of. So it's possible. Obviously, it won't be easy.

​Don't worry too much about this yet. The short answer is, it's possible, but unlikely. It depends firstly on how well ur CARS goes. Study hard for CARS and give it your best shot. Aim for that 13/14 VR (or whatever that is on CARS). If you get it, then hooray! If not, then your odds probably aren't good, there's no way you're going 5 SDs on CASPER - you might consider giving the MCAT another shot. Only the most recent score is used.

Archived