ECs:

- full time commitment to dance for 11 years

- research, presentations, awards, no pubs

- 3 service trips, 1 extensive global health study abroad

- physician shadowing, hospital volunteering

- prizes in public speaking, science fairs, scholarships

- few executive positions, 1 president position of a major club

- tutoring, jobs, fluent in few languages

I will be applying after this semester, and my chances are very bleak at Canadian schools. That being said, I'm looking to open my horizons to some American schools.

What are my chances, should I even apply this cycle? Or wait til the end of my degree to raise my GPA up significantly (it's been going up from a low start)?

I know applying never hurts, but applications are time and money-consuming, so I'd rather have a bit more affirmation before proceeding.

The earliest you can apply is May/June 2017 for matriculation August 2018. 

You haven't told us how many terms you've done, trends in grades, course loads, or weather or not you've taken all the pre-req classes. This will be helpful.

Also, ensure that before you apply, you are aware of the financial considerations, and have the ability to actually fund a US education, as it can be prohibitively expensive for most people (especially considering exchange rate)

On 2/20/2017 at 11:15 AM, JohnGrisham said:

The earliest you can apply is May/June 2017 for matriculation August 2018. 

You haven't told us how many terms you've done, trends in grades, course loads, or weather or not you've taken all the pre-req classes. This will be helpful.

Also, ensure that before you apply, you are aware of the financial considerations, and have the ability to actually fund a US education, as it can be prohibitively expensive for most people (especially considering exchange rate)

Good news is that, assuming your 520 is balances, you have a very strong redeeming factor in your MCAT.

Hopefully your GPA has an upward trend to, and you have some leadership oriented ECs...then you should stand a good chance with US MD schools.

Yes, it does. Thank you! I was just scared about my GPA being a limiting factor. Would you say I would be restricted to low, mid-tier schools?

I've completed 3 terms (my degree is 3 years) & yes, I am in a life sciences program thus I have completed all pre-requisites. Full course load, in terms of grades, general upward trend from 3.2, 3.54, 3.56 (and will go higher this semester).

I have considered the financial aspect and have discussed with my parents and they are willing to back me up. I've been inherently blessed.

I'm assuming you're at Mcgill or some other weird east coast school that does 3 year bachelors programs - how many credits have you done each year? (Just so i'm clear, at least 30 credits, or 5 full-unit courses all year?)

Some U.S. schools have specific pre-reqs like statistics, or psychlogy and sociology, a minority have 2 terms of biochem etc. Just make sure you cover your bases.

I'm a bit confused by "i've completed 3 terms" - to me, that means you are halfway through 2nd year.( 2 terms per year, Sept-Dec, Jan-April)   

If you are only halfway through 2nd year, then you have plenty of time to keep improving your grades, and completing 2nd year strong is a priority, and then as well 3rd year. I would even say, you should consider not applying to US schools until after you complete your 3rd year, so that you have enough credits under your belt.  

And perhaps re-evaluate after 3rd year, and do a 4th year (since most people do 4 years anyways, and many 5 years for UG), so that you can go for Canadian schools.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:10 PM, JohnGrisham said:

I'm assuming you're at Mcgill or some other weird east coast school that does 3 year bachelors programs - how many credits have you done each year? (Just so i'm clear, at least 30 credits, or 5 full-unit courses all year?)

Some U.S. schools have specific pre-reqs like statistics, or psychlogy and sociology, a minority have 2 terms of biochem etc. Just make sure you cover your bases.

I'm a bit confused by "i've completed 3 terms" - to me, that means you are halfway through 2nd year.( 2 terms per year, Sept-Dec, Jan-April)   

If you are only halfway through 2nd year, then you have plenty of time to keep improving your grades, and completing 2nd year strong is a priority, and then as well 3rd year. I would even say, you should consider not applying to US schools until after you complete your 3rd year, so that you have enough credits under your belt.  

And perhaps re-evaluate after 3rd year, and do a 4th year (since most people do 4 years anyways, and many 5 years for UG), so that you can go for Canadian schools.

Yes, at McGill! I have done at least 30 credits per year (stats included). Having done CEGEP, I took mandatory English and Sociology courses, and have emailed a few schools to see if it's good & it is.

Yeah, I was definitely considering that, but would want to set my career path a bit early (rather than completing an extra year or 2 of UG). However, if none of the American schools work out after this cycle then I might consider just that!

Going to the US for medical school can have the potential impact of limiting your career path options, as it is never a gaurantee you will get the correct visa you need to be able to do the specialty of your choice. Most people will be required to get a J1 visa, and thus a Statement of Need from Health Canada in order to do residency in the U.S. for example after medical school.  This limits alot of options. 

Generally speaking things will be easiest getting into a Canadian school, but you can still have excellent outcomes going to the U.S. as well if finances permit.

One thing to consider is that some US schools do not consider 3 year bachelors, and require at least 4 years.  

A year of UG or two is not a big deal at all, especially considering you're already skipping out on a year via the 3 year program.  

But of course, if you feel you won't be able to bring your GPA up to be competitive in Canadian schools, then it would be a smart move to go straight to the US then if you have that option - you don't need a 3.9GPA that some Canadian medical schools require for admittance, in order to be successful in medical school in general.  

Going to the US for medical school can have the potential impact of limiting your career path options, as it is never a gaurantee you will get the correct visa you need to be able to do the specialty of your choice. Most people will be required to get a J1 visa, and thus a Statement of Need from Health Canada in order to do residency in the U.S. for example after medical school.  This limits alot of options. 

Generally speaking things will be easiest getting into a Canadian school, but you can still have excellent outcomes going to the U.S. as well if finances permit.

One thing to consider is that some US schools do not consider 3 year bachelors, and require at least 4 years.  

A year of UG or two is not a big deal at all, especially considering you're already skipping out on a year via the 3 year program.  

But of course, if you feel you won't be able to bring your GPA up to be competitive in Canadian schools, then it would be a smart move to go straight to the US then if you have that option - you don't need a 3.9GPA that some Canadian medical schools require for admittance, in order to be successful in medical school in general.  

I thought that as a USMG, the OP could be eligible for OPT visa followed by H-1B (thereby removing the necessity of J-1)?

Technically, the three year degree includes year 1 equivalent of university from CEGEP - works out to be four years post-secondary equivalent (CEGEPs offer 1xx level courses, more or less + final year of secondary i.e. gr12).  

I thought that as a USMG, the OP could be eligible for OPT visa followed by H-1B (thereby removing the necessity of J-1)?

Technically, the three year degree includes year 1 equivalent of university from CEGEP - works out to be four years post-secondary equivalent (CEGEPs offer 1xx level courses, more or less + final year of secondary i.e. gr12).  

Not all programs offer visas, and those that do, usually offer J1 preferentially because it does not cost them money like the H1B. While yes in theory that is true about OPT as a USMD/DO, then onto H1B, it is very field dependent and how competitive the OP ends up being in medical school.  

It is the hospital residency programs that decide if they offer a visa, and if so what type (j1 or h1b).  

I know for sure there were at least a few US schools that said no to CEGEP, and wanted a 4 year bachelors degree(120 credits).  Some schools don't even consider AP/IB for pre-reqs, let alone CEGEP, something many probably never heard of.

Not all programs offer visas, and those that do, usually offer J1 preferentially because it does not cost them money like the H1B. While yes in theory that is true about OPT as a USMD/DO, then onto H1B, it is very field dependent and how competitive the OP ends up being in medical school.

It is the hospital residency programs that decide if they offer a visa, and if so what type (j1 or h1b).

I know for sure there were at least a few US schools that said no to CEGEP, and wanted a 4 year bachelors degree(120 credits). Some schools don't even consider AP/IB for pre-reqs, let alone CEGEP, something many probably never heard of.

Interesting this. Surprised about the AP/IB pre-reqs since Canadian unis seem to recognize them. But, yes agree that it follows that CEGEP credits wouldn't be recognized. To clarify earlier comment- 3 (secondary) +2 (CEGEP) +3 (UG) in Quebec vs 4 (secondary) +4 (UG) in most other provinces works out to be the same number of years.

Interesting this. Surprised about the AP/IB pre-reqs since Canadian unis seem to recognize them. But, yes agree that it follows that CEGEP credits wouldn't be recognized. To clarify earlier comment- 3 (secondary) +2 (CEGEP) +3 (UG) in Quebec vs 4 (secondary) +4 (UG) in most other provinces works out to be the same number of years.

Ah that makes a lot of sense then, i thought CEGEP was just in place of grade 12 that most other provinces have.  Right, that makes more sense now!  I think i mistook it, because of friends who only did 1 year in CEGEP and applied as "grade 12s" to universities outside of quebec for undergrad. 

Ah that makes a lot of sense then, i thought CEGEP was just in place of grade 12 that most other provinces have. Right, that makes more sense now! I think i mistook it, because of friends who only did 1 year in CEGEP and applied as "grade 12s" to universities outside of quebec for undergrad.

Yes - interesting choice. Professional school admittance is (often) done based on mostly first year CEGEP and some second year - so admittance at that point would cut down total years of education. The friends would probably have had a leg-up on most other uni first years though...

Yes - interesting choice. Professional school admittance is (often) done based on mostly first year CEGEP and some second year - so admittance at that point would cut down total years of education. The friends would probably have had a leg-up on most other uni first years though...

Yep, they definitely had seen alot of basic science material. Felt a bit unfair haha

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, they definitely had seen alot of basic science material. Felt a bit unfair haha

I can see that would be frustrating!  Surprised they weren't given advanced credit, like AP classes.  CEGEPs teach higher chem earlier for example (i.e. GChem and OChem).  Second year uni students seem to be on equal footing with graduating CEGEP students, though.  The greater emphasis on teaching in CEGEPs means it's sometimes better to take the equivalent CEGEP class rather than at a uni for 1xx and OChem, for instance.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived