Premed 101 Forums

What To Do For A Year After Finishing Second Undergrad Degree

Hello,

I am finishing up my second undergrad degree (screwed up big time on my first one, doing much better on my second) and I will be applying next year. But since I will be done undergrad, I was hoping someone could give suggestions for a one year Masters program (also open to other options). 

Thanks,
Locke

Working part time + personal development (hobbies, travel, volunteering etc.) is a great alternative to a filler degree.

The only reason I was considering a 'filler' degree was because it makes it easier to get into medicine with a Masters degree. If I don't get in the first time that is.

Also, does part time work have to be medicine related?

Hello,

I am finishing up my second undergrad degree (screwed up big time on my first one, doing much better on my second) and I will be applying next year. But since I will be done undergrad, I was hoping someone could give suggestions for a one year Masters program (also open to other options). 

Thanks,

Locke

There's more to life than going to school all the time! Instead of doing more education (i.e., a Master's program) that may or may not help with your med application. Why don't you go on a vacation lol,

Better yet, try for American med schools.

The only reason I was considering a 'filler' degree was because it makes it easier to get into medicine with a Masters degree. If I don't get in the first time that is.

Also, does part time work have to be medicine related?

I'm not sure you are correct in saying that it's easier to get into Medicine with a Masters degree. Some schools won't acknowledge your Masters unless you have convocated (which would likely be November 2018, after the deadline for med schools), and some schools won't give you the post graduate advantage because a 1-year masters certainly isn't research-based.

I think that you can add a lot to you application by working, travelling, and experiencing the world!

Archived