Premed 101 Forums

What To Wear On Interview Day?

Hey guys! Hope you're all doing swell :)

The other day I was talking with my friends about what to wear on interview day and when I mentioned "just a shirt and tie", they both flagged me down and said I needed a suit. So the other day I picked up a nice-looking dark-blue suit from RW&CO, but... I'm still a little skeptical (I needed a new suit anyway, so it wasn't a complete waste). Would wearing a suit be too formal for interview day or is it the norm?

Thanks!

What are girls supposed to wear?

I've been procrastinating on these forums so much ever since interview invites and I noticed that the first page of the "most replied to" threads under the "Medical School Interviews" is basically all about either MMI prep resources or what girls should wear:

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/39478-womens-attire/

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/31300-girls-what-to-wear-for-interviews/

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/35307-hi-there-everyone-what-do-you-wear-for-a-medical-school-interview-girls/

A combined total of 25 pages of KNAWLEDGE! Happy reading :) 

For men, wearing a suit is the most common attire. I went without the jacket for all my medical school interviews (suit pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie) and had no issues, but there were only a handful of people who did the same. If you're looking to fit in, wear a suit.

For men, wearing a suit is the most common attire. I went without the jacket for all my medical school interviews (suit pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and tie) and had no issues, but there were only a handful of people who did the same. If you're looking to fit in, wear a suit.

yup, most are in suits. That is just standard :) 

I was reading on SDN a while ago about how guys are not supposed to have facial hair as it is "unprofessional".

And someone raised a question about if the applicant had it for faith/religious reasons (like Sikh), and a majority of the posters basically had a "oh well, suck it up" mentality.

Is having a beard REALLY that bad? I mean I am obviously gonna groom it, damn.

I was reading on SDN a while ago about how guys are not supposed to have facial hair as it is "unprofessional".

And someone raised a question about if the applicant had it for faith/religious reasons (like Sikh), and a majority of the posters basically had a "oh well, suck it up" mentality.

Is having a beard REALLY that bad? I mean I am obviously gonna groom it, damn.

Na, you're fine. As long as you're professional-looking the details don't matter. I mean, if someone with Brent Burns-level facial hair walked into an interview, as long as he was professionally dressed, I doubt it would be held against them. Heck, I'd just be impressed by their commitment more than anything!

When I interviewed, most girls were wearing a pants suit or one with a skirt. A few wore dresses with blazers. Definitely keep the colours conservative, nothing crazy in terms of hair and makeup, and for shoes some people wore flats, some were in ~1 inch heels. My biggest advice is to make sure you feel comfortable and confident in your outfit. Make sure you can walk around in it easily as you will likely go on a tour of the school/hospital. Hope this helps! 

I will be wearing a white dress shirt,  a blue blazer and a skirt ( I got them all from banana republic, they had good sales on boxing day).  Although, I look nicer in dresses and I would prefer to wear a dress with a blazer, I opted to wear something that would make me look professional. In terms of hair style, I beleive I will tie my hair into a ponytail because it is long.  I don't want my hair to interrupt me or annoy me as I am doing my interviews. I want to focus solely on reading the question properly. 

I will also put some make up to look fresh.

Best of Luck :)

To add to the convo of what girls are wearing..... I will be wearing black flats, slim black dress pants, a white blouse, and a grey blazer. Thank the lord for banana republic factory!!! It's not a suit or a super fancy dress but I know I'll be comfortable. Also, hair up in a ponytail or bun and no nail polish/short nails (RIP my super long nails).

• 2 months later...

Archived