Premed 101 Forums

Chance Me Please! (New To Us Admissions)

Hey everyone, I'm currently a 4th year undergrad studying Nursing at a Canadian University but looking to apply to USMD (and maybe USDO) schools this coming summer.

cGPA (AMCAS) - should be ~3.8ish by the end of this year. 

MCAT 1st attempt - 124/127/118/118 (Only planned on applying to Mac this year - thought it would be smart to do the first section as a warm up...does this significantly hinder my chances?)

MCAT 2nd attempt - 127/125/126/128 (506) - would this be too low for USMD low-tier? What about USDO?

I plan on rewriting the MCAT this summer too, but also want to submit my application as early as possible as I hear this is advantageous. What would be a good month/time to rewrite?

ECs (I know that I am very weak in this area)

- Choir leader x6 years (>200 hrs)
- Hospital volunteer x4 years (>170 hrs)

- A few tutoring positions x1 year (one of the tutoring positions was for a club I started)

- One executive position in a club  x1 year

- Advanced level in Piano x15 years (won a few awards)

- Advanced level in Guitar x11 years (self-taught)

- Music group leader for a youth group x4 years

- Track and Field x1 year

I could probably think of more but I feel these are the most significant.

Clinical experience

- >1100 hrs in direct patient contact as a student nurse

In terms of prereqs I know each school is different and I plan on returning for another year of school after graduation this year to complete them. During my degree however, I have completed 2 semesters of General chemistry and 1 semester of Biology. I understand that most schools are OK with you applying if you don't have the prereqs at the time of application so long as you complete them before matriculation (can anyone confirm this?)

Unsure if this is relevant, but at this point in time I'm quite certain I would like to match into and practice Family Medicine.

I plan on researching + reading up more on US Admissions but any opinion on my situation or advice in general would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!

Briefly: GPA great, MCAT low. ECs and clinical experience excellent. You probably have a chance at USMD. Personally, I would never do a DO degree, but there are many that would not agree with me. Know that family medicine in the US does not pay well (I personally think you could earn much better in Canada if that's what you want to do and the residency is shorter - 2 vs 3 years).

Briefly: GPA great, MCAT low. ECs and clinical experience excellent. You probably have a chance at USMD. Personally, I would never do a DO degree, but there are many that would not agree with me. Know that family medicine in the US does not pay well (I personally think you could earn much better in Canada if that's what you want to do and the residency is shorter - 2 vs 3 years).

As an FYI, most people who go abroad for medicine, end up in FM, and its the easiest pathway back to Canada for practice.  Doing a residency in the US, especially in FM, by no means limits you in having to stay there to practice. You write the Canadian exams and hop back over.   

FM is great, but not for everyone I agree.  

OP, its worth a shot applying, but i'd be open to USDO if you want. Given that you already want to do FM, its the pathway of least resistance. If you know for sure you want FM, there is no real difference in what medical school you go to. If the carribeans weren't so risky ,i would even say you may as well just jump there right away. But a USMD/DO would always be a safer path of less stress, even if you want to do FM.  You give yourself a buffer in case something happens in med school and you don't do as well as you want on the board exams - you'll still get a FM spot being from the bottom of the class at a USMD/DO school - definitely not the same if you went elsewhere abroad.

As an FYI, most people who go abroad for medicine, end up in FM, and its the easiest pathway back to Canada for practice.  Doing a residency in the US, especially in FM, by no means limits you in having to stay there to practice. You write the Canadian exams and hop back over.   

FM is great, but not for everyone I agree.  

OP, its worth a shot applying, but i'd be open to USDO if you want. Given that you already want to do FM, its the pathway of least resistance. If you know for sure you want FM, there is no real difference in what medical school you go to. If the carribeans weren't so risky ,i would even say you may as well just jump there right away. But a USMD/DO would always be a safer path of less stress, even if you want to do FM.  You give yourself a buffer in case something happens in med school and you don't do as well as you want on the board exams - you'll still get a FM spot being from the bottom of the class at a USMD/DO school - definitely not the same if you went elsewhere abroad.

Thank you both for your responses! I will consider applying to USDO. Would you happen to know if my 1st MCAT attempt significantly hinders my chances? I know that US schools tend to be more holistic and look therefore consider rewrites. Also if I do rewrite for the 3rd time this summer when is usually a good time (as I want to submit as early as possible to increase my chances)? For instance - say I was invited to interview based on my 506 after submitting in early June. However, because of a rewrite in early/mid August (say 512+) I was offered admission which I wouldn't have been offered if I only had my 506. Is this a possible scenario?

Also would either of you be able to confirm that I should be eligible to apply to schools w/o the prereqs at time of application so long as I complete them before matriculation?

Thanks again!

Thank you both for your responses! I will consider applying to USDO. Would you happen to know if my 1st MCAT attempt significantly hinders my chances? I know that US schools tend to be more holistic and look therefore consider rewrites. Also if I do rewrite for the 3rd time this summer when is usually a good time (as I want to submit as early as possible to increase my chances)? For instance - say I was invited to interview based on my 506 after submitting in early June. However, because of a rewrite in early/mid August (say 512+) I was offered admission which I wouldn't have been offered if I only had my 506. Is this a possible scenario?

Also would either of you be able to confirm that I should be eligible to apply to schools w/o the prereqs at time of application so long as I complete them before matriculation?

Thanks again!

Yes on both questions.

Archived