Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances?

I just wanted to get an honest opinion about my odds of getting into med school and was curious if there were other applicants like myself.

I originally went to the UofA and did a degree in accounting and have worked in the field for the last 4 years. Recently I have been thinking about a career change and have landed on medicine. I graduated with distinction but my first two years weren't the greatest. My cumulative GPA removing my lowest year is a 3.4, my last two years I was able to boost my GPA to a 3.5 and 3.8.

Ideally I want to go to U of A or U of C.

Thanks!

GPA is only weighted 20% at U of C. You have a good chance at U of C, but you will have to kill the other sections. I received interviews at U of C/ U of A with a GPA of ~ 3.5, but I have excellent extracurriculars. Additionally, I did well on the MCAT. 

You don't loose anything if you apply, especially if you meet the requirements!!

Best of Luck :)

My grades were as follows:

1st year - 3.0

2nd year - 3.1

3rd year - 3.5

4th year - 3.8 

I haven't written the MCAT I am planning to write the exam in June. 

My EC's are pretty standard in volunteering and community service. I worked a pretty demanding job the last few years so I haven't had a ton of time to put towards EC's. I have an accounting designation as well (I am aware that this wont be counted towards my GPA calculation) where I received distinction throughout that I hope would help with my upward trend in grades. 

Agree with other posters: U of C is your best bet. If you have been on this forum for any length of time you will know that fulltime undergrad GPA is the biggest factor for acceptance. You are definitely on the low side but Calgary tends to be the best place to go for non-trads. Being in province is a big boost. I would still apply broadly including the Ontario schools, especially Queens and McMaster. The next biggest hurdle is your MCAT. My advice is throw everything you have at it and get it done once. Living like a monk for 6 months and doing nothing but studying is better than rewriting the damn thing over and over again. GL

Archived