Premed 101 Forums

Chances At Usmd? Canadian, 516 Mcat, 3.9 Sgpa, Msc

otatop29

Hi all! Thanks in advance for your time reading this post - duly appreciated.

Just wondering what my chances are at USMD (I'm totally open to DO, I've just heard my stats are more appropriate for MD). 

MCAT (score/percentile): 516 (95th)// 131(99th)/125(62nd)/129(92nd)/131(99th)

cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.9 (4.0 with AAMCAS conversion) 

Background: Caucasian female, 24 yrs old,

Education: Honours B.A.Sc with thesis - nephrology research (2 published papers; neither 1st author)

-Course-based MSc in Global Health, specialization in global diseases. (one 1st author should be published in the fall; 1 op.ed. paper published in school Graduate journal - not even sure if that's worth stating). 

-studied abroad in my 3rd year of undergrad (in Belgium) 

ECs: 

Clincial: 3 months clinical and surgical shadowing numerous specialities in Angola, Africa (600+ hours); volunteer medical first responder for 2 years - was just promoted to Sergeant of Training for the medical first response division (read: leadership, progression, etc) 

Non-clinical: Graduate advisory committee, Various humanitarian initiatives 
Miscellaneous: attended two week mandatory field symposium in India for MSc program where I conducted (brief) field research and constructed grant proposals

Employment:

-currently researching health systems strengthening in Uganda - was hired on by my PI from my masters placement; Seminar presentations of my research at workshops conducted in Uganda and Canada 

-pre-thesis (undergrad) employment in the nephrology wetlab I did my thesis in (westerns, IHC, IF, cell culture, etc)

-various student jobs (i.e. waitressing, summer parks, etc)

Current List of Schools (after consulting MSAR)
-George Washington
-New York Med College
-Rosalind Franklin
-Oakland Beaumont
-Sidney Kimmel (Thomas Jefferson)
-Dartmouth
-Boston
-Case Western
-Stony Brook
-Wayne State
-Michigan State
-St Louis
-Maryland
-Virginia Commonwealth

-Northwestern

Reach Schools
-Cornell
-Duke

-Uni of Virginia SOM 

I'll be applying to 7 Non-Ontario Canadian schools as well, but I really don't have high hopes. They generally only let 6-10 out-of-province students (aka me) in. And my CARS would need to be 129+ 

Thank you thank you thank you! 

Honestly, if your goal is medicine in Canada, just rewrite the MCAT. Much less expensive and time consuming in the long run than going all-in with American schools. List looks fine, and you probably have a decent shot at some of those schools, but they are also going to wonder why the CARS is low (especially as a Caucasian, i.e., presumably English as your first/only language?).

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, if your goal is medicine in Canada, just rewrite the MCAT. Much less expensive and time consuming in the long run than going all-in with American schools. List looks fine, and you probably have a decent shot at some of those schools, but they are also going to wonder why the CARS is low (especially as a Caucasian, i.e., presumably English as your first/only language?).

Rewriting your MCAT will probably you a better chance in Canadian schools because most Many Canadian schools only have a threshold (ie. it's okay for your overall score to drop as long as individual sections pass a certain score). I must caution you, however, that your ECs seem to be only good for US. Not to take away from you, your ECs look amazing but Canadian schools (at least many of them) emphasize diversity and I can see you lacking a bit of that. 

For USMD, your Gpa is fine and your Mcat is high and unbalanced. I remember hearing someone say that your can offset the mcat with stellar ECs. I would give it a try if I were you. I think your chances are decent. 

As you said, i'm not sure if retaking the MCAT is the best idea since your overall score is so high... I would just apply this year and keep my ECs up just in case I don't get accepted. Good luck :) 

Have you already been through a Canadian application round at end of undergrad ?  Any interviews then ?

You can still apply to some Ontario schools competitively with 125 CARS -- Toronto, maybe Queens, and not required at Ottawa.

I personally still would rewrite MCAT this summer.   Med school is already such a lottery to get in (anywhere) that you should do everything you can to improve your chances.

If you're not going to retake the MCAT because of the CARS, apply broadly to all the USMDs that are Canadian friendly, and make sure you have your LORs in order. 

Really spend time on writing up your application and PS, and secondaries.

Make sure to apply to Canadian schools too, Ottawa for sure in addition to the 7 non-ontario schools.

If you 100% want to start medical school in August 2018, prep a USDO app as well for 3-4 of the strong schools (KCU, Nova Southeastern etc in nice locations).  USMD chances look decent, but its a wildcard. 

Make sure to apply first thing, and apply broadly.

If you're not going to retake the MCAT because of the CARS, apply broadly to all the USMDs that are Canadian friendly, and make sure you have your LORs in order. 

Make sure to apply to Canadian schools too, Ottawa for sure in addition to the 7 non-ontario schools.

If you 100% want to start medical school in August 2018, prep a USDO app as well for 3-4 of the strong schools (KCU, Nova Southeastern etc in nice locations).  USMD chances look decent, but its a wildcard. 

Amazing! Thanks for responding. 

Yeah, I'll definitely apply Canadian, as well. Do you by any chance know how it would work if I were to matriculate to a USMD school this fall/winter and I accepted that, but I got accepted to a Canadian school the spring afterwards? Like, could I just retract my american acceptance, or are there mechanisms in place that notify Canadian schools once I've accepted one in the US. (And obviously this is like, the best possible scenario and very likely to not happen) 

Super convoluted question, but I think you get my drift.  :)

Amazing! Thanks for responding. 

Yeah, I'll definitely apply Canadian, as well. Do you by any chance know how it would work if I were to matriculate to a USMD school this fall/winter and I accepted that, but I got accepted to a Canadian school the spring afterwards? Like, could I just retract my american acceptance, or are there mechanisms in place that notify Canadian schools once I've accepted one in the US. (And obviously this is like, the best possible scenario and very likely to not happen) 

Super convoluted question, but I think you get my drift.   :)

Two seperate systems.

I know of people who did M1 in the US, reapplied to Canada, and then came back to Canada after finishing M1 and re-doing M1 in Canada and moving onward in the Canadian system. 

Two seperate systems.

I know of people who did M1 in the US, reapplied to Canada, and then came back to Canada after finishing M1 and re-doing M1 in Canada and moving onward in the Canadian system. 

And yes, if you were later accepted into a Canadian program in May, and you were prior accepted to a US school, you would just tell the US school you wont be matriculating. Just lose your deposit etc. No downsides.

Two seperate systems.

While your other piece of advice is correct, this is not. The US and Canadian systems are connected in the sense that if you started med school in the US, you can't just start over again in Canada. If you matriculated outside of North America, you can restart in the US/Canada, however.

While your other piece of advice is correct, this is not. The US and Canadian systems are connected in the sense that if you started med school in the US, you can't just start over again in Canada. If you matriculated outside of North America, you can restart in the US/Canada, however.

Huh, weird, you know I had also thought that as well with regards to Canadian MD and USMD. However....

I know 2 people who are in this exact situation lol. Did M1 in the US, and at USMD schools(If you go to a USDO school, you 100% can re-start in Canada no problem since its different accrediting agency). 

Maybe they were case by case basis and this isn't universally true, but i know 100% without a doubt, they were at USMD schools, completed M1, and then are now in Canadian MD schools. They had to restart from day 1.  

I don't know any more than that, other than they had personal reasons for wanting to be back in Canada, so perhaps that played a factor. In the small event they somehow didn't disclose their USMD attendance(extremely unlikely), i won't disclose further information.

Once you complete M1 and start M2 in the US, it would be really silly at that point to leave the US to return to Canada, since you'd be at the 50% mark and onto clinicals at that point. But repeating M1 isn't that big of a deal if it worked out.

Huh, weird, you know I had also thought that as well with regards to Canadian MD and USMD. However....

I know 2 people who are in this exact situation lol. Did M1 in the US, and at USMD schools(If you go to a USDO school, you 100% can re-start in Canada no problem since its different accrediting agency).

Maybe they were case by case basis and this isn't universally true, but i know 100% without a doubt, they were at USMD schools, completed M1, and then are now in Canadian MD schools. They had to restart from day 1.

I don't know any more than that, other than they had personal reasons for wanting to be back in Canada, so perhaps that played a factor. In the small event they somehow didn't disclose their USMD attendance(extremely unlikely), i won't disclose further information.

Once you complete M1 and start M2 in the US, it would be really silly at that point to leave the US to return to Canada, since you'd be at the 50% mark and onto clinicals at that point. But repeating M1 isn't that big of a deal if it worked out.

Interesting. Definitely surprised to hear this (I think some Canadian applications ask whether you've matriculated elsewhere). Anyway, not something I would count on if I were them.

If you 100% want to start medical school in August 2018, prep a USDO app as well for 3-4 of the strong schools (KCU, Nova Southeastern etc in nice locations). USMD chances look decent, but its a wildcard.

I'm still trying to read more about the US system and learn about it, but what exactly is holding this applicant back? Isn't the MCAT pretty high (between 34 and 35 on old exam) and the GPA is pretty high too. I mean the MCAT is almost in the 90th percentile for accepted applicants at this school. And 3.85 in engineering is damn solid too. Wouldn't OP have quite a high LizzyM score and have pretty good chances overall? I don't get it. How are these chances only decent? Are you thinking only decent because the MCAT is unbalanced?

I'm still trying to read more about the US system and learn about it, but what exactly is holding this applicant back? Isn't the MCAT pretty high (between 34 and 35 on old exam) and the GPA is pretty high too. I mean the MCAT is almost in the 90th percentile for accepted applicants at this school. And 3.85 in engineering is damn solid too. Wouldn't OP have quite a high LizzyM score and have pretty good chances overall? I don't get it. How are these chances only decent? Are you thinking only decent because the MCAT is unbalanced?

I've also been wondering why my chances are only "decent" as well. :) But yes, I figure it's because of my unbalanced MCAT, my ORM status (I think?), and the fact that I'm a Canadian applicant. I'm pretty optimistic about this cycle though .... after perusing many different forums and looking at accepted international applicants, I can't see 20 different schools passing on similar stats, degrees, research, and EC's. But I definitely, 100% could be wrong. And I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

By the way, my GPA is for a combined degree in Arts and Science, not eng. I'm not that bad ass. Wish I was, though.

Thanks for your response! Hopefully we get some insight.

Still an international, and a competitive process.

Evenw ith a 4.0 and a perfect MCAT, nothing is a guarantee, ever. Plenty of people with strong stats get rejected. Over and over.

I've also been wondering why my chances are only "decent" as well. :) But yes, I figure it's because of my unbalanced MCAT, my ORM status (I think?), and the fact that I'm a Canadian applicant. I'm pretty optimistic about this cycle though .... after perusing many different forums and looking at accepted international applicants, I can't see 20 different schools passing on similar stats, degrees, research, and EC's. But I definitely, 100% could be wrong. And I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

By the way, my GPA is for a combined degree in Arts and Science, not eng. I'm not that bad ass. Wish I was, though.

Thanks for your response! Hopefully we get some insight.

I don't think your chances are as limited as it might seem on this thread. I applied to US (and Canada) this year with an (old) mcat score like yours (~95% overall, ~60% VR), and despite the fact that it's not balanced, as long as other parts of your apps are strong, they will make up for it. I have a couple of offers from the States and waiting to hear back from three interviews in Canada. So there is definitely hope for you. I have a 3.95+ gpa so that might help too but your gpa of 3.90 is definitely strong enough for the States (and some schools in Canada).

Good luck!!

I don't think your chances are as limited as it might seem on this thread. I applied to US (and Canada) this year with an (old) mcat score like yours (~95% overall, ~60% VR), and despite the fact that it's not balanced, as long as other parts of your apps are strong, they will make up for it. I have a couple of offers from the States and waiting to hear back from three interviews in Canada. So there is definitely hope for you. I have a 3.95+ gpa so that might help too but your gpa of 3.90 is definitely strong enough for the States (and some schools in Canada).

Good luck!!

Thanks so much for your response! Definitely made me more hopeful :) 

Are you able to say which American schools you interviewed at? Or better yet, which ones you were accepted at? I know that applicants often like to keep these facts concealed, so no worries if you've got no comment. 

Best of luck with the Canadian cycle! I'm sure with that MCAT and GPA you'll get some love.

Hi all! Thanks in advance for your time reading this post - duly appreciated.

Just wondering what my chances are at USMD (I'm totally open to DO, I've just heard my stats are more appropriate for MD). 

MCAT (score/percentile): 516 (95th)// 131(99th)/125(62nd)/129(92nd)/131(99th)

cGPA: 3.85 sGPA: 3.9 (4.0 with AAMCAS conversion) 

Background: Caucasian female, 24 yrs old,

Education: Honours B.A.Sc with thesis - nephrology research (2 published papers; neither 1st author)

-Course-based MSc in Global Health, specialization in global diseases. (one 1st author should be published in the fall; 1 op.ed. paper published in school Graduate journal - not even sure if that's worth stating). 

-studied abroad in my 3rd year of undergrad (in Belgium) 

ECs: 

Clincial: 3 months clinical and surgical shadowing numerous specialities in Angola, Africa (600+ hours); volunteer medical first responder for 2 years - was just promoted to Sergeant of Training for the medical first response division (read: leadership, progression, etc) 

Non-clinical: Graduate advisory committee, Various humanitarian initiatives 

Miscellaneous: attended two week mandatory field symposium in India for MSc program where I conducted (brief) field research and constructed grant proposals

Employment:

-currently researching health systems strengthening in Uganda - was hired on by my PI from my masters placement; Seminar presentations of my research at workshops conducted in Uganda and Canada 

-pre-thesis (undergrad) employment in the nephrology wetlab I did my thesis in (westerns, IHC, IF, cell culture, etc)

-various student jobs (i.e. waitressing, summer parks, etc)

Current List of Schools (after consulting MSAR)

-George Washington

-New York Med College

-Rosalind Franklin

-Oakland Beaumont

-Sidney Kimmel (Thomas Jefferson)

-Dartmouth

-Boston

-Case Western

-Stony Brook

-Wayne State

-Michigan State

-St Louis

-Maryland

-Virginia Commonwealth

-Northwestern

Reach Schools

-Cornell

-Duke

-Uni of Virginia SOM 

I'll be applying to 7 Non-Ontario Canadian schools as well, but I really don't have high hopes. They generally only let 6-10 out-of-province students (aka me) in. And my CARS would need to be 129+ 

Thank you thank you thank you! 

Drop Case Western - no more international students starting 2017/2018 cycle.

Dartmouth likes non-trads.. not sure if you're non-trad enough for them, but give it a shot anyway

GWU gets a ton of apps.. so who knows

Wayne - Some people question their quality and their large class sizes

SLU - requires escrow, FYI.

Drop Case Western - no more international students starting 2017/2018 cycle.

Dartmouth likes non-trads.. not sure if you're non-trad enough for them, but give it a shot anyway

GWU gets a ton of apps.. so who knows

Wayne - Some people question their quality and their large class sizes

SLU - requires escrow, FYI.

For case western,

That's just for the university program right? College program and MSTP are unaffected?

I was going to target this school hard, was even going to do a post-bacc in the states just for the linkage here.

I can speak on Wayne State. Large class sizes are not a problem, in fact it encourages many many different clubs, activities etc. to cater to everyone's needs. We also rotate through 3 level 1 trauma centers all within 20 minutes from the school and never have a problem with too many students on a team.

Also training in Detroit is amazing and of very high quality. The diversity of populations and pathology are unmatched and you will come out well trained and ready to tackle most situations if you are eager to learn.

The tuition rates however could be better lol.

Thanks so much for your response! Definitely made me more hopeful :) 

Are you able to say which American schools you interviewed at? Or better yet, which ones you were accepted at? I know that applicants often like to keep these facts concealed, so no worries if you've got no comment. 

Best of luck with the Canadian cycle! I'm sure with that MCAT and GPA you'll get some love.

I will PM you!

Also, regarding your school list, in addition to bearpuppy's comments:

- SLU is currently on probation 

- NYMC (like SLU) require 4-year escrow

I will PM you!

Also, regarding your school list, in addition to bearpuppy's comments:

- SLU is currently on probation 

- NYMC (like SLU) require 4-year escrow

Being on probation isn't a big deal, it happens quite often to many schools at accredidation time. They'll fix the "deficiency" and be on the way. 

Many Canadian schools have also been on probation, or very close to.

Being on probation isn't a big deal, it happens quite often to many schools at accredidation time. They'll fix the "deficiency" and be on the way. 

Many Canadian schools have also been on probation, or very close to.

I know it's not a big deal. Just wanted OP to make an informed decision.

Archived