Premed 101 Forums

Chances, Should I Apply?

Let's put it this way.

You have a dilemma: retaking will (likely) mean that your multiple attempts will be frowned upon by USMD schools. Not retaking, however, will mean that your chances are slim (if not non-existent) for most US and Canadian schools.

Your best bet now is to retake it AND ace it. Yes multiple attempts may look bad, but if you can significantly improve, I'm sure it'll help. 

So this is what you should do:

when you feel like you've studied adequately, take a mock exam (either a practice test on your own or with a prep company). Keep doing so until you consistently get the score you want. At that point, you would know if you are ready to retake and ace the exam. From my experience (and of course, presuming that the prep company or the practice test aren't intentionally trying to be too hard/easy), your individual section on your actual mcat won't deviate by more than 2 points. 

Again, the key is to take and only take the mcat again when you are confident that you can ace it. 

Obviously, this is easier said than done. I wish you all the best!

To the OP, out of curiosity, what exactly is it about USDO schools that turned you away from it?

With your current stats, you basically have a DO spot. But if you insist on a US/CAD MD, it could take many more cycles, or it could be forever out of your reach. It's not the 1990s anymore, a DO degree can allow you to practice in Canada after US residency training, just as a US MD would allow you. There are no provincial restrictions anymore for USDOs in Canada, you get full practice rights in all provinces, just like the MD degree.

If you are interested in something simple like family medicine, it is an absolutely viable option. That's not to say that you are "stuck" with family medicine as a DO. We actually have a fair representation in Canada as of 2017, psych, IM, ER, OBGYN, Anesthesia, FM (of course). I honestly think that it is still a route not too many Canadians are familiar with, and are ignoring for (often times) egotistical reasons. I hope you are not that type.

Take it from a "being there, done that" guy. Under the circumstances, going to a DO school was the best career move I made.

Archived