Premed 101 Forums

Why Queens?

Here are a few things that I absolutely love about the program:

1. It's a small program! I've really found it to be fairly tight-knit, and you get to know everyone in your class (and a bunch of the upper years) very quickly. Everyone is very supportive and helpful, and all of the upper years have been so wonderful in helping us settle in. 

2. Kingston is small, but so, so beautiful - and the med building and hospital are right by the water! There are also a lot of hiking places that are a reasonable distance from here, which I love! 

3. The faculty is incredible. They really give us a lot of support (whether it be for academics, personal wellness, etc.). Additionally, physicians are always very willing to have you come and do observerships with them, or even to just come and chat with them and ask them any questions you may have. We usually get 1-2 half days off per week, so this gives you a lot of time to explore specialties you might be considering (or it just gives you time to do other things you enjoy!). 

4. We were working with standardized patients by the second week of class. This was something that I was really intimidated by in the beginning, so I really liked being exposed to that very early on.

5. All students are placed into mentorship groups, that consist of faculty, residents and students of all four years. You stay in these groups for as long as you're at Queen's, so it really allows you to get to know others even more, who are in different stages of their training. It's a lot of fun and everyone is really great :)

6. Kingston is fairly close to several of the bigger cities - our class went to Montreal together one weekend! 

In terms of research, I haven't been involved in any during the academic year, but when I contacted potential supervisors for the summer, they were all very willing to meet with me to discuss the possibility further. Perhaps someone else can comment on that?

Hopefully this gives you a little bit more insight into the program :) I'd be happy to answer any other questions about the program/school/city! 

Hey chromosome, thanks for the info its a great way for me to get to know queen's. are there other aspects of the queens curriculum that is unique to them/done particularly well by them? 

i'm trying to get a better sense of what the qmed program is like and how it differs from other med programs but I couldnt find much online. i'm probably looking in the wrong spot, so if you could direct me/ tell me that would be great

Hey chromosome, thanks for the info its a great way for me to get to know queen's. are there other aspects of the queens curriculum that is unique to them/done particularly well by them? 

i'm trying to get a better sense of what the qmed program is like and how it differs from other med programs but I couldnt find much online. i'm probably looking in the wrong spot, so if you could direct me/ tell me that would be great

Take a look at this website shipran.  Make sure to take a look at the testimonials in the student life section, and there are also some more testimonials in the "document sharing" tab.

https://meds.queensu.ca/central/community/mdinterviews

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2017 at 8:29 PM, shipran said:

I fully missed this - sorry! For what it's worth: The school of medicine website shows the courses that make up each year, so that might be useful (https://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/curriculum) . One thing that queen's emphasizes is small group learning (SGL). For each half of the year, we're placed into a different SGL group. Each course usually has SGL sessions spread out throughout the week, so these allow us to work in groups to solve questions, case studies, etc. They also try to stratify the groups based on academic background, so that's really helpful in gaining different perspectives when tackling problems (you also learn a lot from your classmates this way). We also have facilitated SGLs, where your SGL group is paired up with a faculty member, who meets with your group every week to help guide you through cases.

We do have quite a bit of class (I've heard that it's a bit heavier than some other schools) - some days we have class from 8:30 - 4:30/5:30, but they usually try to give us 2 half-days a week. They've started recording select lectures though. We also have DILs for our courses, which are usually modules that are meant to be completed on your own time. 

If you have any specific questions or want more information about the specific courses, let me know! 

Archived