Premed 101 Forums

Medical Consults Vs Ctu At Sunnybrook

Currently deciding between 3 weeks of medical consults vs 2 weeks of CTU at sunnybrook

Pros of consults: more staff exposure one-on-one, less "intense" time/call wise

Cons: less chance to show hard work, less ability to showcase teamwork, 

Really torn between this. It's almost an expectation to do a CTU elective if you're applying to internal medicine so I feel like medical consults may be a bit fringe. Any thoughts on making this choice? Particularly by U of T students

Appreciated...

Currently deciding between 3 weeks of medical consults vs 2 weeks of CTU at sunnybrook

Pros of consults: more staff exposure one-on-one, less "intense" time/call wise

Cons: less chance to show hard work, less ability to showcase teamwork, 

Really torn between this. It's almost an expectation to do a CTU elective if you're applying to internal medicine so I feel like medical consults may be a bit fringe. Any thoughts on making this choice? Particularly by U of T students

Appreciated...

I would do CTU, and 3 weeks if possible. It gives your staff more opportunities to evaluate you and write you a LOR. It also takes a while to learn the EPR system, location (esp Sunnybrook) and general "flow".

I would do CTU, and 3 weeks if possible. It gives your staff more opportunities to evaluate you and write you a LOR. It also takes a while to learn the EPR system, location (esp Sunnybrook) and general "flow".

thanks for the advice.

would your opinion change if I could only do CTU for 2 weeks and I would have two staff over that time period? (i.e. one for each week). 

if I do consults, I could get x3 weeks and I would work with one staff for a full two weeks. no residents on consults, one-on-one staff contact.

thanks again

thanks for the advice.

would your opinion change if I could only do CTU for 2 weeks and I would have two staff over that time period? (i.e. one for each week). 

if I do consults, I could get x3 weeks and I would work with one staff for a full two weeks. no residents on consults, one-on-one staff contact.

thanks again

I would try to work with one staff for two weeks, if you can only do 2 weeks of CTU. It is challenging impress, and even if you did impress, it may be difficult for your staff to write you a strong letter to CaRMS with only one week.

I would try to work with one staff for two weeks, if you can only do 2 weeks of CTU. It is challenging impress, and even if you did impress, it may be difficult for your staff to write you a strong letter to CaRMS with only one week.

yeah it wont be possible unfortunately for me to do that :( I already called sally (who is very very helpful) and she told me what the staff schedule looked like. if I did CTU I'd only work with a staff for one week at a time. 

I think I'll stick with the consults because I'd get at least a full two weeks with one staff-person

thanks for the advice. 

yeah it wont be possible unfortunately for me to do that :( I already called sally (who is very very helpful) and she told me what the staff schedule looked like. if I did CTU I'd only work with a staff for one week at a time. 

I think I'll stick with the consults because I'd get at least a full two weeks with one staff-person

thanks for the advice. 

Who are the staff on Med consults vs CTU?

TBH it doesn't really matter in the end although (med consults is more reserved for PGY-3's, just go over pre-op/peri-op assessment's etc...), I would go with the longer elective with the most face time with staff.

Who are the staff on Med consults vs CTU?

TBH it doesn't really matter in the end although (med consults is more reserved for PGY-3's, just go over pre-op/peri-op assessment's etc...), I would go with the longer elective with the most face time with staff.

She told me it's too early to know who the staff people are

thanks for the advice. 

Yeah then go with the one staff on Med Consults for two weeks.

Archived