scaredofthedark

Neurology Salary?

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

 

I was told a couple weeks ago that in Ontario, the mean gross billings for neurologists is actually lower than that of family doctors.

 

 I was quite surprised by this, and since I'm very interested in neurology as a profession I just wanted to see if I could get some clarification about how much they actually make.

 

Thanks so much,

scared

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys,

 

I was told a couple weeks ago that in Ontario, the mean gross billings for neurologists is actually lower than that of family doctors.

 

 I was quite surprised by this, and since I'm very interested in neurology as a profession I just wanted to see if I could get some clarification about how much they actually make.

 

Thanks so much,

scared

 

The CMA profiles is a good place to start - here's Neurology's. Overall a Neurologist's income is similar if not better than the typical FM doc. 

Young Pappy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not an neurologist - but the overhead is quite a bit less I thought as well(?)

 

no doubt neurologist earn a lower amount compared to other similar specialties. I have been told some reasons why that is the case but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me on a system's level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not an neurologist - but the overhead is quite a bit less I thought as well(?)

 

no doubt neurologist earn a lower amount compared to other similar specialties. I have been told some reasons why that is the case but it still doesn't make a lot of sense to me on a system's level. 

 

If neurologists could actually treat stuff maybe their incomes would improve...  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If neurologists could actually treat stuff maybe their incomes would improve...  ;)

 

(ooooooooooooooo......)

 

but in seriousness that is exactly the problem - the government doesn't like to pay for things that don't somehow END the problem or lead to it ending. Chronic management of things is not their style. Not logical in all cases, not logical at all.  

socialmedicine likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(ooooooooooooooo......)

 

but in seriousness that is exactly the problem - the government doesn't like to pay for things that don't somehow END the problem or lead to it ending. Chronic management of things is not their style. Not logical in all cases, not logical at all.

 

Instead of putting more and more money into specialized treatment, they would reach their goal of "ending problems" by focusing on prevention and firts line treatment aka making fm more attracting for med students!

1997 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pay is not great for general outpatient Neurology. That is, in large part due to the length of the neuro physical exam and the patient population they deal with. Often times, those patients are presenting with issues that cannot be addressed in 10 minutes. On top of that, they have loads of elderly patients, who tend to have social issues such as failure to cope, caregiver fatigue, dementia, etc. going on. 

 

That said, certain sub specialties and procedures within Neurology can pay decently from what I hear. 

 

Botox for dystonias, Parkinsons patients, and headaches, EMGs, NCS, neurocritical care,  and sleep medicine all pay well. Beware, however, that you may find it difficult to establish the required patient population to appreciably boost your income via botox. Unfortunately, I don't believe that OHIP covers botox injections for headaches. There is a private market for this however. The neurocritical care and sleep medicine job markets are saturated. Not sure about EMG/NCS.  

 

In the states, there are Neurologists who practice interventional pain, although that is dominated by Anaesthesia in Canada. I don't imagine it would be impossible to land a fellowship for that in Canada.

 

Interventional neuroradiology is ~20-25% completed by Neurologists in the states. The remaining 70-75% of the field is split between Neurosurgery and Radiology, with Neurosurgery taking the larger portion of that pie. That, too, pays quite well. I think there are a couple of Neurologists practicing this in Canada now. 

 

That said, these will all require 2 year fellowships AFAIK. There are better paths to money out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pay is not great for general outpatient Neurology. That is, in large part due to the length of the neuro physical exam and the patient population they deal with. Often times, those patients are presenting with issues that cannot be addressed in 10 minutes. On top of that, they have loads of elderly patients, who tend to have social issues such as failure to cope, caregiver fatigue, dementia, etc. going on. 

 

That said, certain sub specialties and procedures within Neurology can pay decently from what I hear. 

 

Botox for dystonias, Parkinsons patients, and headaches, EMGs, NCS, neurocritical care,  and sleep medicine all pay well. Beware, however, that you may find it difficult to establish the required patient population to appreciably boost your income via botox. Unfortunately, I don't believe that OHIP covers botox injections for headaches. There is a private market for this however. The neurocritical care and sleep medicine job markets are saturated. Not sure about EMG/NCS.  

 

In the states, there are Neurologists who practice interventional pain, although that is dominated by Anaesthesia in Canada. I don't imagine it would be impossible to land a fellowship for that in Canada.

 

Interventional neuroradiology is ~20-25% completed by Neurologists in the states. The remaining 70-75% of the field is split between Neurosurgery and Radiology, with Neurosurgery taking the larger portion of that pie. That, too, pays quite well. I think there are a couple of Neurologists practicing this in Canada now. 

 

That said, these will all require 2 year fellowships AFAIK. There are better paths to money out there. 

 

there are 2 neurologist practicing neurointerventional in Canada last time I looked. Not very popular in canada as it doesn't pay particularly well and of course the hours are terrible. Still interesting work :) 

 

In Canada at least most of that is still done by radiologists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pay is not great for general outpatient Neurology. That is, in large part due to the length of the neuro physical exam and the patient population they deal with. Often times, those patients are presenting with issues that cannot be addressed in 10 minutes. On top of that, they have loads of elderly patients, who tend to have social issues such as failure to cope, caregiver fatigue, dementia, etc. going on.

 

That said, certain sub specialties and procedures within Neurology can pay decently from what I hear.

 

Botox for dystonias, Parkinsons patients, and headaches, EMGs, NCS, neurocritical care, and sleep medicine all pay well. Beware, however, that you may find it difficult to establish the required patient population to appreciably boost your income via botox. Unfortunately, I don't believe that OHIP covers botox injections for headaches. There is a private market for this however. The neurocritical care and sleep medicine job markets are saturated. Not sure about EMG/NCS.

 

In the states, there are Neurologists who practice interventional pain, although that is dominated by Anaesthesia in Canada. I don't imagine it would be impossible to land a fellowship for that in Canada.

 

Interventional neuroradiology is ~20-25% completed by Neurologists in the states. The remaining 70-75% of the field is split between Neurosurgery and Radiology, with Neurosurgery taking the larger portion of that pie. That, too, pays quite well. I think there are a couple of Neurologists practicing this in Canada now.

 

That said, these will all require 2 year fellowships AFAIK. There are better paths to money out there.

Neurosurg is smart. They're avoiding the mistakes Cardiac Surgery made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neurosurg is smart. They're avoiding the mistakes Cardiac Surgery made.

 

in fairness it is easier to be smart when you have Cardiac Surgery as a shining example of what happens when you don't be proactive about things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how IMEs/medicolegal plays into this? Physiatry has similar post-overhead income, but IMEs can bring in more than your clinical work. Is the same true for neuro? Is IME work common/abundant for neuro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know how IMEs/medicolegal plays into this? Physiatry has similar post-overhead income, but IMEs can bring in more than your clinical work. Is the same true for neuro? Is IME work common/abundant for neuro?

Bump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how common medicolegal work is in Neurology, but it's possible AFAIK. I have heard of one neurologist who makes a killing doing medicolegal stuff. That individual has largely abandoned clinical practice. I don't know the details, just something I heard word of mouth. 

 

Neurology is a very academic and research oriented specialty. I think ~50 percent of all neurologists in canada work in academic centres. Given that, I don't think the type of person who would become a neurologist is likely to be interested in stuff like medicolegal work, which is why you don't hear about it often. 

 

But it seems like the opportunities exist.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are 2 neurologist practicing neurointerventional in Canada last time I looked. Not very popular in canada as it doesn't pay particularly well and of course the hours are terrible. Still interesting work :)

 

In Canada at least most of that is still done by radiologists. 

 

I did not know that. I incorrectly assumed that because neurointerventional procedures pay well in the states, they must pay well in Canada. I stand corrected. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how common medicolegal work is in Neurology, but it's possible AFAIK. I have heard of one neurologist who makes a killing doing medicolegal stuff. That individual has largely abandoned clinical practice. I don't know the details, just something I heard word of mouth. 

 

Neurology is a very academic and research oriented specialty. I think ~50 percent of all neurologists in canada work in academic centres. Given that, I don't think the type of person who would become a neurologist is likely to be interested in stuff like medicolegal work, which is why you don't hear about it often. 

 

But it seems like the opportunities exist.  

A family member does this. Runs a consult clinic a couple times a month, the rest is doing medicolegal work. Lets just say their garage is amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A family member does this. Runs a consult clinic a couple times a month, the rest is doing medicolegal work. Lets just say their garage is amazing. 

Anyone know if he's 1 in 1000, or if it's a readily accessible to the average neurologist who wants to do it for only a few days a month?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not know that. I incorrectly assumed that because neurointerventional procedures pay well in the states, they must pay well in Canada. I stand corrected. :P

 

Yeah ha, you would think it would pay well - I mean it is a kind of brain surgery effectively to reverse under hi stress and short time constraints a stroke - often at 3am. Cannot think of any reason that should be paid so much less than me slurping a tea while reading a CT (the visceral organs and GI system are unremarkable....slurp.....the osseous structures and body wall soft tissues are within normal limits.....slurp.....Impression: No acute abdominal/pelvic pathology.....powerscribe NEXT......)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know if he's 1 in 1000, or if it's a readily accessible to the average neurologist who wants to do it for only a few days a month?

 

don't think there are too many people doing it, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah not alot of people are doing it. i could see it being hard/really not interesting for someone that doesnt really have an interest in law or litigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now