Premed 101 Forums

How To Get Reference Letters As A Non-Trad Applicant

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I was wondering if it's necessary to have an academic reference (especially if you're a non-trad applicant who has been out of school for years). Has anyone here gotten accepted to med school with all non-academic references? 

Some schools don't specify that they need an academic reference, but most do. Is it looked down upon if you don't have one? I thought the transcript would do the talking, in terms of academic strength.

If I were to apply, I would use my employer (at a healthcare job), my family doctor I've been shadowing and a volunteer supervisor at a hospital. Would these be good enough?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I was wondering if it's necessary to have an academic reference (especially if you're a non-trad applicant who has been out of school for years). Has anyone here gotten accepted to med school with all non-academic references? 

Some schools don't specify that they need an academic reference, but most do. Is it looked down upon if you don't have one? I thought the transcript would do the talking, in terms of academic strength.

If I were to apply, I would use my employer (at a healthcare job), my family doctor I've been shadowing and a volunteer supervisor at a hospital. Would these be good enough?

Thanks in advance.

Like you said, I think it depends on the individual school. The purpose of an academic reference isn't usually to speak to ones grades, but to other scholarly components of the application such as research productivity, collaborative ability, critical thinking, etc. Thus, they are usually important because this may be a large component of what a school is looking for.

I don't think it would be detrimental to not have one, provided you have most areas of your application covered with the 3 you have selected (again depending where you apply). You don't want 3 references who are all going to say the exact same thing because then it becomes redundant. The 3 you have selected all appear to be heading down that path (as my only caution to you). You want to have a diversity in the qualities they are able to speak about with unique examples for each. Have a look at UofT clusters for example. Your references should be able to collectively speak about all of those in one way or another.

The only time I would say that it is a huge red flag for not having an academic reference is if someone has completed grad school and does not have a letter from their supervisor.

Like you said, I think it depends on the individual school. The purpose of an academic reference isn't usually to speak to ones grades, but to other scholarly components of the application such as research productivity, collaborative ability, critical thinking, etc. Thus, they are usually important because this may be a large component of what a school is looking for.

I don't think it would be detrimental to not have one, provided you have most areas of your application covered with the 3 you have selected (again depending where you apply). You don't want 3 references who are all going to say the exact same thing because then it becomes redundant. The 3 you have selected all appear to be heading down that path (as my only caution to you). You want to have a diversity in the qualities they are able to speak about with unique examples for each. Have a look at UofT clusters for example. Your references should be able to collectively speak about all of those in one way or another.

The only time I would say that it is a huge red flag for not having an academic reference is if someone has completed grad school and does not have a letter from their supervisor.

Great info. You brought up a good point; the letters shouldn't be redundant. So, maybe a letter from someone I worked with in a completely different area (in which I excelled) might be wiser. Thank you! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great info. You brought up a good point; the letters shouldn't be redundant. So, maybe a letter from someone I worked with in a completely different area (in which I excelled) might be wiser. Thank you! 

I think that the best references come from people you have worked with/volunteered with who have experienced you showing your leadership, independent thinking and team work skills. So it doesn't necessarily have to be from university or even from something medical. 

I was always told that it's better to have a non-academic reference that has known you longer (let's say 2+ years) rather than an academic reference who has only known you for 6 months. 

Archived