• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hatsoff2

hatsoff2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

How much time do you think an average medical student needs to study for the part 1 MCCQE? I've heard everywhere from days to 6 weeks. Are we talking about 6 weeks of 8 hour days of studying (like for the MCAT)?

We're also just about done clinical rotations and I've been cruising for awhile so am not sure where I stand. 

• LittleDaisy likes this

#2 hkm91450

hkm91450

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

I did light reading here and there for 2 weeks followed by daily (full-days) for 2 weeks. I think it was more than enough, maybe even over-kill. I also wrote the MCCQE on the first day that you could write it. Better to get it done and out of the way. I didn't understand my friends who wanted to study an extra 2 weeks. The exam, as you will see, is very ambiguous, like the questions are poorly worded. It's nothing like the USMLE. Basically, more studying isn't going to help. 

#3 ArchEnemy

ArchEnemy

Retired Spam Janitor

• Super Moderators
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:40 AM

Which resources did you use to study for this exam?

• wel likes this

U of T Medicine, Class of 2017

#4 shikimate

shikimate

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

4 weeks of UWorld CK, focusing on the non-IM/Surg areas, and you should be fine.

"I try to decorate my imagination as much as I can." - F. Schubert

#5 hkm91450

hkm91450

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:54 PM

I used Toronto Notes and UWorld. I also quickly scanned the objectives here: http://apps.mcc.ca/O...sh&loc=contents

I applied and matched to a generalist specialty, and so I felt comfortable with most concepts. 

#6 stephenpeters2

stephenpeters2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Locationcalgary

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:06 AM

UWORLD question bank. Did questions on "tutor mode". 6 weeks of chill studying. 

• wel likes this

#7 Canada8799

Canada8799

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Hello, 

those who used UWorld, I'd like to know which banks you bought as there is none dedicated to the preparation of our MCCQE part 1 

thanks a lot 

#8 Intrepid86

Intrepid86

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

How much time do you think an average medical student needs to study for the part 1 MCCQE? I've heard everywhere from days to 6 weeks. Are we talking about 6 weeks of 8 hour days of studying (like for the MCAT)?

We're also just about done clinical rotations and I've been cruising for awhile so am not sure where I stand. 

Two weeks of dedicated studying, or 4-6 weeks if you want more of a slow burn. That's usually sufficient.

Hello, 

those who used UWorld, I'd like to know which banks you bought as there is none dedicated to the preparation of our MCCQE part 1 

thanks a lot 

CanadaQBank has a qe1 specific question bank. It's not bad. UWorld is a good option too, but it's tailored more for the usmle.

PGY1 - Family Medicine

#9 Candiens12

Candiens12

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

Don't use canada q bank. Huge waste of money, they should be ashamed with their product.
  • Manchester1 likes this

#10 schmitty

schmitty

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

Don't use canada q bank. Huge waste of money, they should be ashamed with their product.

Why? I just started with it and it seems fine. Detailed explanations for each question/topic and decent interface. 

UofT MD 2017

#11 hkm91450

hkm91450

• Members
  • 615 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:38 AM

Why? I just started with it and it seems fine. Detailed explanations for each question/topic and decent interface. 

It's not reflective of what the actual MCCQE is like. I agree with the previous poster that Canada Q-Bank is garbage. When I was studying for the MCCQE, I actually had purchased a subscription to both U-World and Q-Bank and found that Q-Bank was the biggest waste of money ever. There interface was also terrible. I used U-World almost exclusively.

• Manchester1 likes this

#12 Canada8799

Canada8799

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:01 PM

I'd probably like to buy a UWorld subscription but don't know which section is most useful for MCCQE part 1. Can someone help me with that?  thanks!!

#13 shikimate

shikimate

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:19 PM

UWorld Step 2 CK is the one you want. 

"I try to decorate my imagination as much as I can." - F. Schubert

#14 deathvvv

deathvvv

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Uworld is definetely more helpful for the mcq section, be mindful that all units are in american values

canada q bank is helpful for the check box section, I did it and find the cdm section (is that what they call it?) somewhat reflective of the real thing

#15 Mithril

Mithril

The Original

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:54 AM

I found Canada QBank to be pretty garbage as well. UWorld was much more helpful.

• Manchester1 likes this

UBC Medicine 2015

UBC FM R2

#16 Manchester1

Manchester1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:08 PM

It's not reflective of what the actual MCCQE is like. I agree with the previous poster that Canada Q-Bank is garbage. When I was studying for the MCCQE, I actually had purchased a subscription to both U-World and Q-Bank and found that Q-Bank was the biggest waste of money ever. There interface was also terrible. I used U-World almost exclusively.

Agree. Also INCORRECT answers and explanations sometimes which is unacceptable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users