Premed 101 Forums

Mcmaster Pt 2017 Interview Invites Out!

Had a sGPA of 3.85 and I am not even on the wailist.... I wonder what the grades looked like this year

That can't be right! Did you get the email? I'm assuming they send the same one to everyone who doesn't make the first cut. It just says we are waitlisted and if a spot opens we will be contacted by mar 21 at the latest.

That can't be right! Did you get the email? I'm assuming they send the same one to everyone who doesn't make the first cut. It just says we are waitlisted and if a spot opens we will be contacted by mar 21 at the latest.

I received the email saying: "At this time we are unable to offer you an interview for the MSc (Physiotherapy) Program because of one of the following reasons:"

I am going to attempt to contact them via phone to sort this out

I received the email saying: "At this time we are unable to offer you an interview for the MSc (Physiotherapy) Program because of one of the following reasons:"

I am going to attempt to contact them via phone to sort this out

Oh wow I didn't realize they had different types of emails - just assumed people either got a spot or were waitlisted. Def contact them because that's not the email I got. Good luck!

I applied to Mac OT with a GPA in the mid 3.8's, but received a rejection today. I submitted my transcript and everything else on time too. :(

I'm so confused by what seems to have happened to both you and the other poster... did you get an actually rejection email like he did "unable to offer you an interview for the following reasons" or the waitlist email?

Either way I thought the only thing Mac took into consideration for the invites is our sub- gpa plus their super chill pre-reqs... so if someone with a 3.76 got an OT interview invite how could you not with a 3.85?

I'm assuming you got your sub-GPA from the orpas calculation... my sub gpa Calculated in Newfoundland is way higher (3.98) but that translated to 3.82 for orpas.

Yes. I got a straight rejection email saying they were unable to offer me an interview for OT, and no waiting list either.

My ORPAS GPA is in the mid-3.8s, which is definitely above the GPA cutoff they listed for OT in their e-mail.

I'm really confused too. I should call to figure out what's going on. I met all the requirements, so it would suck not to have an interview this year. :(

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yes. I got a straight rejection email saying they were unable to offer me an interview for OT, and no waiting list either.

My ORPAS GPA is in the mid-3.8s, which is definitely above the GPA cutoff they listed for OT in their e-mail.

I'm really confused too. I should call to figure out what's going on. I met all the requirements, so it would suck not to have an interview this year. :(

Has this happened to anyone else?

That's very strange. Mid 3.8's sGPA should be VERY competitive for OT.

I know ORPAS made errors in both my sGPA and cGPA earlier that I needed to email them to correct. Maybe McMaster received my ORPAS application prior to when my GPA was corrected?

We only needed to send our official transcript to ORPAS this year correct? We didn't need to send an official transcript directly to McMaster?

That's very strange! The GPA calculated on ORPAS on my account was correct when they first released it in February.

I believe so, I sent my transcripts via the ORPAS application only.

Were you able to contact them by phone today?

No luck with contacting them on the phone today, I am going to try contacting them tomorrow.

Edit: I am applying for PT but our situations are very similar, I believe we both deserve an interview!  :(

Had a sGPA of 3.85 and I am not even on the wailist.... I wonder what the grades looked like this year

wow you definitely should have gotten an invite with that sGPA.. what institution did you do your undergrad in? perhaps they didn't accept the preq or is your cGPA above a B?

Would you mind telling me what your GPA was? And also, whats a good way to prep for these kind of interviews? 

My sGPA is 3.96. Best way to prep, in my opinion, is to practice with a friend / another candidate. Do a dry run of potential MMI questions to get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses - not only in terms of the content of your answers, but also your delivery (tone of voice, body language, pacing, how many times you say "um" or "uh" lol). As with any other interview, take time to reflect on your experiences and come prepared to talk about how those experiences have influenced your decision to pursue PT. Identify specific experiences that reflect key personal qualities that interviewers might ask about (e.g. leadership, ability to manage conflict/ethical scenarios, communication skills) and rehearse your delivery of each of those scenarios. I also don't think it would hurt to brush up on your knowledge of some of the professional aspects of PT - the CPA  and the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario have some really good resources on their websites. Also, don't neglect to prep for the written stations - I think this was what I tripped up on last year when I did the MMI. My "on-the-spot" written communication skills aren't very strong, especially when there's a time constraint. This time around I'm going to practice responding to prompts by simulating the actual station (time constrains and all). 

Hope that's helpful! Good luck :)

Archived