Premed 101 Forums

Anonymous Oop Waitlist Poll

OOP waitlist scores (answers are ANONYMOUS)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What was your overall score?

• 83.00-85.00
    • 80.00-82.99
    • 76.20-79.99
    • 74.00-76.19
    • 72.00-73.99
    • 70.00-71.99
    • less than 70.00
    • >85.00 (!!!)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with another 5+ replies we can make a solid guesstimate. We know from an email communication to bw326 that 76.2 is the average of all accepted students (including waitlist). We also know that there were ~50 OOP interviews granted. We have to assume then that at least 16 people OOP students have a score greater than the mean. We also know from the accepted/rejected/waitlist thread that at least one OOP student has been outright rejected [:-(], therefore we know that not ALL of us are waitlisted.

My current assumption is that there are about 25 of us on the waitlist.

Who's willing to call the office and politely ask?

1,2,3... not it. 

Edit: I think I'm displaying classic premed neuroticism. I may need help.

If there are 25 on the waitlist, I think I'm in hot water with my score, but not necessarily out of the game. If there's 30 I'm SOL barring a miracle. I doubt there would be 30 on the waitlist - seems excessive if the waitlist moves 10-15 spots each year, no?

I keep hearing this about waitlist movement, but I can't seem to find a source. Not to say that it isn't true, I just don't know where this statement originated. Let's hope it's accurate (or even understated)!

I keep hearing this about waitlist movement, but I can't seem to find a source. Not to say that it isn't true, I just don't know where this statement originated. Let's hope it's accurate (or even understated)!

I get what you mean. In my mind, the OOP waitlist by definition should move because those on the waitlist would likely choose a school in their home province if given the option.

I can confirm this, Carolyn from Admissions has said that historically the OOP waitlist moves 10-15 spots on average. You can also check the AFMC yearly reports to see total numbers of offers declined at each Canadian medical school. Since there's usually around 35 declined offers at Dal, and the IP waitlists don't move a ton, you can assume the bulk of declines come from OOP students. 

https://afmc.ca/sites/default/files/documents/en/Publications/AdmissionsBook2016-Final-EN.pdf

I have also heard from Carolyn that the waitlist moves 10-15 spots, however it moved only 4-5 spots last year (if that!) which surprised the admins as well. So again it all depends on the candidates who get the acceptances (i.e. last year those candidates only had an offer from Dal).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I called admissions today and was told that last year's wait list for OOP was 20 people, and they went down to the 8th position. She said they don't like to make the wait list too long because they don't want to give false hope. The fact that she cited last year's wait list size and noted that they don't like to give false hope makes me think this year's wait list is probably a similar length.

Catchlynall, did you happen to ask about the IP (NS) waitlist? I'm in the IP waitlist and have no idea about it's size/movement :(

She said there has been no waitlist movement, but then asked me if I was OOP to clarify, then said there's been no OOP movement.

Sorry, I didn't ask specifically about IP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I just wanted to ease some nerves around here. I got an offer, but I will be (gratefully) turning in down in favor of Ontario schools. I have been in your position last year so I understand what some of you might be going through. My score was in 80-83 range. All the very best :)

Archived