Premed 101 Forums

Very High Mcat, Mediocre Gpa With Extreme Upward Trend. Looking For Advice On Second Undergrad

Hey there, I am looking for some honest assessment.

I have applied in Canada 3 times and to America 2 times with 0 interviews. I want to know realistically what my prospects are and what options I have. The way I see it right now the only options for me are either to go to the Caribbean (I would be accepted for sure), or to enroll in a second undergraduate degree with the hopes of eventually matriculating in Canada, preferably in Ontario. What I want to know most of all here is what the chances are that the second option would be successful. How realistic is it for me to get into med school in Canada if I do a second undergrad? If I were to do a second undergrad, it would be in philosophy. I minored in philosophy so I have several credits which I can transfer over. Furthermore my grades in philosophy were all excellent, from high 80s to high 90s, so I'm confident that if I do take a second undergrad I would do very well. What I am concerned about is whether it would be worth it. If I do a second undergrad and still can't get in that will be 2 more years wasted.

My current stats are as follows:

(using OMSAS grades)
cGPA: 3.51

1GPA: 2.71 (1 failed course)
2GPA: 3.67
3GPA: 3.76
4GPA: 3.95

old MCAT: 33 (91%): P11/V10/B12
new MCAT: 518 (97%): ChemPhys130/CARS127/B132/PS129

ECs: 2 years of volunteering at a UHN hospital, all of which was in direct contact with patients. ~350 hours in total

I have done some research volunteering here and there, with around 200 hours in total.

I shadowed a doctor for 2 days.

I play a musical instrument at a moderately high level, and play sports.

That is pretty much the gist of my application.

I have a very marked upward trend. I was a part time student in my first year and my grades were terrible. In this year I failed one course. I think this is really holding me back right now. My next three years were successively better, going from good to excellent. In my final year my lowest grade was 87 and my highest grade was 100. I graduated with high distinction from U of T. My program was a science program but as I mentioned above I minored in philosophy and can do a second undergrad in that program.

What I want to know is whether it would be worth my while to take a second undergraduate degree with the hopes of matriculating in Canada. I can start in the Caribbean virtually ASAP with my stats. I understand the difficulties with being labelled 'IMG', and with the limited residency options etc. But I have friends who have gone to SABA, did their residencies at good med schools in Florida, and are currently working as GPs in the US with very high paying jobs. I am confident that I can do as well as they have in their USMLE and other examinations.

The way I see it, the benefits of a second undergrad (if it works out) are that I would have the freedom to choose whichever residency I prefer, as well as the lower tuition costs  and living costs due to the fact that it would be at home. Conversely, if I go to the Caribbean I would be limited to Family/GP as my only viable residency option given the IMG allocation, but I would probably make more money in the long run as well as start earning a few years earlier.

Any information or advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you for you time.

What is the course load and level for your last two years? Queen's requires a minimum of 3 per semester for fall/winter semesters. Western requires 5 courses per fall/winter semester with 3 out of those 5 courses being 3rd year level or above, since it was your third and fourth year.

A second degree depends on two things 1. can you handle not being accepted again after completing it, which is definitely a possibility. 2. can you wait the "long game". What I mean by "long game" is that it takes a long time to get into medicine in Canada. I would wager that it is the hardest country to get into medicine. Ask yourself these two things before deciding to go into your second degree. If you can't then you would have to consider the difficulties of coming back from an over seas program, etc. Plus there is also US medical schools so...

Hi Notgettinin (more like onedaygettinginjustkeeptrying),

A 518 MCAT is very very good, but considering that in Canada CARS is essential, I would consider practising that section to death and redoing your MCAT. From your other sections, it looks as if you are likely to do well again in them (especially taking into account the apparently low test-retest variability of the MCAT if you keep your knowledge fresh). A 127 CARS is above median, sure, but it's not outstanding, especially in Ontario, where the competition by grade is very steep. Western has a 129 cut-off, for example. 

Have you considered this venue? I would only consider another undergrad as the very, very last resort in terms of upping your premed game.

I'm sorry, I have nothing to contribute (since I'm new to all of this)...but I'm curious, what would be stopping the OP from getting an interview at Queens or Western? Seems like a very competitive final two years?

Regardless, all the best. :)

CV not strong enough (Queens) and low CARS (Western). 

What is the course load and level for your last two years? Queen's requires a minimum of 3 per semester for fall/winter semesters. Western requires 5 courses per fall/winter semester with 3 out of those 5 courses being 3rd year level or above, since it was your third and fourth year.

5 credits each year

Hi Notgettinin (more like onedaygettinginjustkeeptrying),

A 518 MCAT is very very good, but considering that in Canada CARS is essential, I would consider practising that section to death and redoing your MCAT. From your other sections, it looks as if you are likely to do well again in them (especially taking into account the apparently low test-retest variability of the MCAT if you keep your knowledge fresh). A 127 CARS is above median, sure, but it's not outstanding, especially in Ontario, where the competition by grade is very steep. Western has a 129 cut-off, for example. 

Have you considered this venue? I would only consider another undergrad as the very, very last resort in terms of upping your premed game.

Yeah I have been thinking about this but the motivation is just not there right now. The crazy part about the 518 was that I did that with no sleep the night before. I can't help thinking that if I had slept properly I would have gotten an interview at Western.

Notgettingin,

You're contemplating doing another entire bachelor's and the motivation to redo the MCAT isn't there? Come on, perseverance will pay off. I'd try that first for an application cycle. If it doesn't work out, then maybe.

Good luck. Pick yourself up. You've got this.

Archived