Premed 101 Forums

What Are My Chances?

Hi everyone! I’m a Canadian and was wondering what my shots are at a US school. I’m open to applying to DO but was especially thinking about the MD-route.

About me:

- Undergrad complete

- cGPA 3.76 (3.3,4.0,4.0,3.7 trend from 1st to 4th year)

- sGPA 3.47

- 512 (128/127/128/129) MCAT (previous ones were 24 and 29)

EC’s:

- Provincial government contracts helping to design healthcare protocols

- Student government

- Research Assistant in 2 labs, 1 abstract, presentations

- President of 1 club, VP of another major club

- Staff Writer for 2 student-run papers

- Hospital volunteering (~160 hours)

- Surgeon shadowing (~80 hours)

- Mentoring after school program

- Intramurals captain for 2 sports

- English tutoring with non-profit for new immigrants

- Awards in undergrad within faculty

- Black belt and karate teaching

I have most of the science pre-reqs for the schools except I’m missing orgo and biochem. I would definitely take them this summer or during the year if I could manage to secure an interview but am unsure if it would be worth it considering the status of my app. Do my multiple MCATs and low sGPA put me out of contention for the low-mid tier schools? Thanks!

Not bad, make sure to get your LORS in order soon and strong. Cover your bases.

Get the scheduling of the missing pre-reqs in line and make up a list of USMD schools to apply to.

Would you say it's worthwhile to apply to schools with a higher sGPA than mine even if my MCAT and cGPA are around average/above the average for matriculants? (i.e. MSAR says school X has an avg MCAT of 31, sGPA of 3.6 and cGPA of 3.7)

Would you say it's worthwhile to apply to schools with a higher sGPA than mine even if my MCAT and cGPA are around average/above the average for matriculants? (i.e. MSAR says school X has an avg MCAT of 31, sGPA of 3.6 and cGPA of 3.7)

Yes, all you have to lose is the application fee, which are a drop in the bucket compared to tuition anyways. If youre going to apply, you should always apply broadly and cast a wide net.

Archived