Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about ECs. Currently about to finish my first year in Med Sci at UWO.

This school year:

Really have not done much, mainly planned out my summer and applied for 2nd year positions

This summer:

SickKids research/volunteering with an international MD/PhD, 6 hrs/week, 96 hrs/summer

Osler hospital(s) volunteer, 4 hrs/week, 64 hrs/summer

Soup kitchen volunteer, 2 hrs/week, 36 hrs/summer

Probably working, really flexible schedule for whenever I'm available (less stress)

Next school year:

Faculty sophing (mainly first week of year, not as much throughout year)

Trying out for SERT (1 shift/week commitment)

Trying out for science student council (maybe)

1st year Biology mentoring (5 hrs/week, sometimes less)

Rerun as Exec for MSF (doctors w/o borders club)

Run for Exec for Chemistry Club (3 hrs every so often, various events)

Run for Upper Year position BUGS (Bio UG Society) (various events)

Rotholme/Ronald McDonald women and children's shelter (combined 4 hrs/2 weeks)

Next summer:

Possible volunteering at Mount Sinai, Manhattan (family connection)

What other clubs would current/past UWO students recommend? Any volunteering near campus?

BIG QUESTION: Research around campus. Where to even begin? Profs? Hospital?

Your ECs for the upcoming summer sound good. For the year, I would try to pick 2-3 longer-term regular commitments and stick to them rather than doing things with a few intermittent meetings, but overall your proposed ideas sound good. I would also pick a few things that are unrelated to medicine/science. I.e. do you do any hobbies? Play sports? etc. Remember to show that you're well-rounded. 

For research, if you don't need to be paid, the easiest thing to do is to email profs who's research your interested in, or approach them in person if you are in their class and ask if they have any openings in their lab. If you go the email route, just know you may have to send ~10+ emails before you find something/get contacted for an interview. Good luck! 

Archived