Premed 101 Forums

Cote R De 35: Atteignable?

J'ai jamais eu en bas de 95% en philosophie. Adopte la méthode d'enseignement du professeur et tu auras une bonne note.

Non ça ne vaut pas la peine d'étudier d'avance.

I agree just adapt to teacher, all 3 mandatory philo classes in Bdeb that I had while doing the science dec, I got 38-38-39 cote R (grades in 98-100% average class 50-60%), usually the more strict the teacher is, the more you can ''te démarquer"" when you work hard.

I agree just adapt to teacher, all 3 mandatory philo classes in Bdeb that I had while doing the science dec, I got 38-38-39 cote R (grades in 98-100% average class 50-60%), usually the more strict the teacher is, the more you can ''te démarquer"" when you work hard.

Ah thanks I think I understand a little bit better now. Being in highschool, I'm not so familiar with the R score system :C But I think it will go well...I hope.

It's just that it seems like you can't afford to mess up one subject that will downgrade your avg R score. This site keeps me motivated though ,and I'm grateful.

I wonder if we had the same teacher, she loved me for some reason but despised everyone else so I took her for all my semesters and got 40-42 R scores all around... good times.

I wonder if we had the same teacher, she loved me for some reason but despised everyone else so I took her for all my semesters and got 40-42 R scores all around... good times.

I had Sylvain st-jean back then, lol he still has a low rate my teacher score cuz students found him strict and such but I loved him, the other one was Caroline Miller and do not remember the name of the third woman.

• 3 weeks later...

Bonjour,

J'étais récemment acceptée dans mon cégep de premier choix et je vais commencer ma session en quelques mois.

C'est alors que je cible avoir une Cote R qui me permettra d'entrer à un programme universitaire dont Pre-med à McGill. C'est à dire une Cote peut-être autour de 35. (qui, selon ma conseillère, augmente légèrement à tous les ans) Je suis assez consciente pour savoir le niveau de difficulté pour réussir ce défi, mais je suis prête à me dévouer complètement.

Jusqu'à présent (au secondaire 5), mes notes sont ,ce que je crois, bonnes en chimie, physiques et mathématiques. J'ai même eu 99 en chimie théorique mais la note de laboratoire a malheureusement baissé ceci au bulletin vers autours de 93 comme note finale.

En tout cas, j'aimerais savoir sur ce que vous en pensez sur un tel défi ,vos meilleurs conseils pour rendre ceci possible et même quelques expériences personnelles.

Dans mon cas à moi, ce sont des matières comme le français et l'éducation physique qui influencent négativement ma moyenne générale. Si j'ai bien lu en ligne, il parait que le département de médecine en université exige une cote r élevée pour toutes ces matières? Et bien, si vous avez des trucs pour ces sujets en particulier, cela me ferait du plaisir de les entendre.

Je considère aussi acheter Antidote; le suggérez-vous?

Je vous remercie infiniment de votre attention!

Gonna answer you in English. Firstly, just so you know, you don't need 35 to get an interview. I had my interview a few weeks ago with a 34 global (but about 35 in sciences), however I know someone who got one with a 32. Make sure you focus on volunteering and your essays etc too!!! But yes, high r-score is very possible. To be honest I didn't even try too hard. My biggest advice: GET GOOD TEACHERS. Research your teachers on ratemyteachers first, don't take teachers who give impossible midterms (there are some). Also, i suggest not ignoring little things that don't count for much, which I think is what hurt my grades the most. Like skipping assignments worth only 1% or not studying for quizzes worth 1%, it adds up if you miss out on too many of these. Just stay on top of things and you'll be fine!!!

Ah et, je te conseille de viser 36.5 et +, si tu veux t'assurer une admission, peu importe ton résultat aux entrevues. La moyenne des candidats est justement de 35, alors si tu peux te démarquer de la majorité, ce serait encore mieux. À l'époque, lorsque j'ai débuté le cégep, je croyais aussi que 35 serait suffisant pour que je sois admise sans trop m'inquiéter. I was wrong. Avoir été mieux informée, j'aurais donné mon maximum pour atteindre 36 et +. N'écoute pas les gens qui vont te dire que tu as des chances si tu as 34 ou whatever. Les chances sont minces. Il vaut mieux avoir le plus gros résultat possible sur ce qu'on peut personnellement contrôlé. Ne laisse pas une évaluation subjective telle que les MEMs décider si tu mérites d'être médecin ou non.

I disagree with this. I got interview with a 34, my friend got one with 33.X, and another friend with a 32, but our friend with a 36 didn't get one, and my other friend with a 35.X didn't get one either. Your CVPN does matter a lot, the admissions committee says to aim to be above 33.5. I think starting at 33.5 you have made the cut and they really want to look at your extra curriculars and essays. 

I disagree with this. I got interview with a 34, my friend got one with 33.X, and another friend with a 32, but our friend with a 36 didn't get one, and my other friend with a 35.X didn't get one either. Your CVPN does matter a lot, the admissions committee says to aim to be above 33.5. I think starting at 33.5 you have made the cut and they really want to look at your extra curriculars and essays.

Second that - after my undergrad I applied with bellow the average stats and still got in without waitlist - yes grades are important but they're not all. If you wanna have control over you admission then you better work your ass off preparing for the MMIs, reflecting on the person you are and projecting that on interview day. And btw it may seem as though MMIs are super subjective but they're really not - They're standardized evaluations that account for evaluators variability. Anyways there are plenty of studies on the topic y'all can go check them out if you want.

Hmm, but how can I know if I'm going in the right direction with extra curriculars? Can I PM you about my experiences so far in bullet points if that's ok?

Also, isn't McGill the only uni that takes a look at CVPNs? Not that CV in general doesn't matter, just wondering whether i should be building better my cv or put over 90% priority on grades for the next two years.

Thank you very much for the advice :)

Second that - after my undergrad I applied with bellow the average stats and still got in without waitlist - yes grades are important but they're not all. If you wanna have control over you admission then you better work your ass off preparing for the MMIs, reflecting on the person you are and projecting that on interview day. And btw it may seem as though MMIs are super subjective but they're really not - They're standardized evaluations that account for evaluators variability. Anyways there are plenty of studies on the topic y'all can go check them out if you want.

Ah thank you and absolutely, you have a point.

When did you start getting ready for MMIs? They're a bit far from me right now (~1.5 years) but I do sometimes consider buying some books regarding MMIs already.

Ah thank you and absolutely, you have a point.

When did you start getting ready for MMIs? They're a bit far from me right now (~1.5 years) but I do sometimes consider buying some books regarding MMIs already.

As soon as I got my interview (about a month and a half? 2 months? im not 100% sure lol dont remember) - books can be useful but i didnt use any - what i really focused on was reflecting on the person that i am, life events etc. and i would make sure to incorporate that as much as i could in my answers ... be it one on one or scenarios ... they wanna know you and the person you are, so give them just that. 

Congrats getting into med! Do you have any tips to share on being/becoming a straight A student?

You are in h.s. right now. The most important attribute you can bring with you to the next level is a strong work ethic! Get to know yourself, find out what works for you and work smart. Be inquisitive. If you don't understand something, ask, even if you consider you may look stupid to your classmates (who don't know the answer and are too chicken to ask the question). As you learn about yourself, you will develop effective strategies either on your own or with help from counselling or others.

Do not worry about your grades, they are meaningless after you leave h.s. However, should you participate in class, have an enquiring mind, you will learn from your mistakes. Along your way, always help others, be kind and be humble, never be too impressed with yourself or with your accomplishments. 

It is far too early to even contemplate the MMI. Moreover, the best prep for the MMI, at least in my opinion, is actual life experiences and not reading books or studying for it. Let us say you work during the summer in customer service where you deal with irate customers. You will develop excellent communication skills, tact, diplomacy, understanding and be able to deal with these customers, often having satisfied customers leave. This requires developing problem solving skills and thinking quickly on your feet.

Learning to show compassion and understanding will take you a long way.

Life is meant to be lived, to be fulfilling, ideally contributing to your community and you are meant to receive an education academically and through life experiences to prepare you for the long road ahead. It is an adventure where, for sure, you will stumble along the way. Use your stumbles as learning experiences. Become active in your community in ways that you enjoy. Go to CanMEDS competencies on google and find out what medical schools require of candidates. 

To become an A student when I was mature enough to handle this, at age 19, I began to treat my studies professionally, i.e., as if this was my serious job that required dedication, hard work and focus. Through trial and error, I learned how I learned and retained material the best. I discovered that routine class learning was not the most efficient way for me and as a result, I became an independent learner. I often skipped classes in undergrad and used this time far effectively on my own. By the time I reached medical school where they give you notes of the classes, I did not attend classes, studying on my own instead and I was able to digest from the class notes what was important in a fraction of the time. I certainly do not suggest this approach for h.s. or Cegep.

Tu vises tu juste McGill ou bien tu vas faire une demande d'admission dans les autres universités?

Parce que ouais, McGill prend en compte ton CV, mais les autres universités, si tu as 36.5 et +, tu es admis no matter what.

Jusqu'à présent, je ne suis pas assez familière avec les programmes de med dans chaque université au Qc. Honnêtement je pensais toujours McGill parce que je me sens très confortable de parler en anglais. Mes amis disent que McGill est difficile à prédire s’ils vont t’accepter ou non, alors depuis ce temps-ci je pense aux autres universités, mais je ne sais pas, il y a beaucoup de facteurs à considérer. Ce qui est important pour moi en ce moment est d'avoir ce qui est nécessaire pour être admis dans ce qui sera mon choix idéal.

You are in h.s. right now. The most important attribute you can bring with you to the next level is a strong work ethic! Get to know yourself, find out what works for you and work smart. Be inquisitive. If you don't understand something, ask, even if you consider you may look stupid to your classmates (who don't know the answer and are too chicken to ask the question). As you learn about yourself, you will develop effective strategies either on your own or with help from counselling or others.

Do not worry about your grades, they are meaningless after you leave h.s. However, should you participate in class, have an enquiring mind, you will learn from your mistakes. Along your way, always help others, be kind and be humble, never be too impressed with yourself or with your accomplishments. 

It is far too early to even contemplate the MMI. Moreover, the best prep for the MMI, at least in my opinion, is actual life experiences and not reading books or studying for it. Let us say you work during the summer in customer service where you deal with irate customers. You will develop excellent communication skills, tact, diplomacy, understanding and be able to deal with these customers, often having satisfied customers leave. This requires developing problem solving skills and thinking quickly on your feet.

Learning to show compassion and understanding will take you a long way.

Life is meant to be lived, to be fulfilling, ideally contributing to your community and you are meant to receive an education academically and through life experiences to prepare you for the long road ahead. It is an adventure where, for sure, you will stumble along the way. Use your stumbles as learning experiences. Become active in your community in ways that you enjoy. Go to CanMEDS competencies on google and find out what medical schools require of candidates. 

To become an A student when I was mature enough to handle this, at age 19, I began to treat my studies professionally, i.e., as if this was my serious job that required dedication, hard work and focus. Through trial and error, I learned how I learned and retained material the best. I discovered that routine class learning was not the most efficient way for me and as a result, I became an independent learner. I often skipped classes in undergrad and used this time far effectively on my own. By the time I reached medical school where they give you notes of the classes, I did not attend classes, studying on my own instead and I was able to digest from the class notes what was important in a fraction of the time. I certainly do not suggest this approach for h.s. or Cegep.

Thank you so much for these amazing advices. I will treasure these words.

And I'm very glad that you've shared this with me. I really needed it. :)

Hmm, but how can I know if I'm going in the right direction with extra curriculars? Can I PM you about my experiences so far in bullet points if that's ok?

Also, isn't McGill the only uni that takes a look at CVPNs? Not that CV in general doesn't matter, just wondering whether i should be building better my cv or put over 90% priority on grades for the next two years.

Thank you very much for the advice :)

It's not really a matter of "direction" everyone's CVs are really different, and they don't want carbon copies of the same person applying (eg hospital volunteering, humanitarian trip, etc) its all about what you enjoy / being committed to something for a long time / being involved in your community. You can PM me with your experiences and I can tell you what kind of things I had if that interests you. And yes, McGill is the only pre-med program that looks at CVPN, but I didn't apply to the french school since my french is horrid. For the french schools, you need a minimum r-score of maybe 33.5 (id aim for 34 to be safe) and thats an automatic interview invite, then it is just the interview that matters. But for McGill, definitely dont just hide away in the library in cegep for 2 years because a 40 r-score and a crappy CVPN will not get you an interview. 

It's not really a matter of "direction" everyone's CVs are really different, and they don't want carbon copies of the same person applying (eg hospital volunteering, humanitarian trip, etc) its all about what you enjoy / being committed to something for a long time / being involved in your community. You can PM me with your experiences and I can tell you what kind of things I had if that interests you. And yes, McGill is the only pre-med program that looks at CVPN, but I didn't apply to the french school since my french is horrid. For the french schools, you need a minimum r-score of maybe 33.5 (id aim for 34 to be safe) and thats an automatic interview invite, then it is just the interview that matters. But for McGill, definitely dont just hide away in the library in cegep for 2 years because a 40 r-score and a crappy CVPN will not get you an interview. 

It's not just the interview that matters after the interview invites. Your academic results are 100% of what's considered for invites. For final admission, it's 50% interview/50% academic.

Also, 34 is pretty safe for an invite but to be competitive (ie: on the average), you need to be around 35.

It's not just the interview that matters after the interview invites. Your academic results are 100% of what's considered for invites. For final admission, it's 50% interview/50% academic.

Also, 34 is pretty safe for an invite but to be competitive (ie: on the average), you need to be around 35.

Exactly.

English people should stop trying to give advices about french school. Often wrong.

• 11 months later...

Premièrement, oui tu peux atteindre 35 de cote R si tu est capable de réfléchir par toi même après tes cours (un conseil: ne te fie pas sur la compétence de tes professeurs, mais plutôt sur ta qualité à lire les livre et les notes de cours et d'en prendre des notes). L'important c'est surtout d'être indépendant et de ne pas s'attendre à que les autres fassent quoi que ce soit pour toi comme au secondaire où les professeurs faisaient même tes notes de cours.

Deuxièmement, tes notes au secondaire n'ont rien à voir avec les notes que tu aura au Cégep. J'ai eu plusieurs amis qui ont connu un échec lamentable même en étant des prodiges au secondaire. Au secondaire, les professeurs te donnent des bonnes notes pour aider ta petite confiance en toi et non pour t'aider réellement. Parmi les personnes dans mon école secondaire qui sont allés au cégep, plusieurs voulaient entrer en médecine. L'une y entrera sans problème et l'autre fut convoquée aux entrevues. Ces deux personnes avaient les deux meilleurs moyennes générales au secondaire. Toutefois, plusieurs autres avaient des notes fabuleuses et ont connu un échec digne de l'empire romain. D'autres comme moi ont les notes pour entrer en médecine, en ayant des notes merdiques au secondaire. Tout cela n'est influé que par ce que j'ai nommé au premier paragraphe. IL y a évidemment une corrélation entre la maturité au secondaire et la maturité au cégep, mais ce n'est pas fiable du tout.

Si tu apprends que tu as des notes excellentes au cégep, je te suggérerais de donner du tutorat si ton cégep le permet. C'est un excellent moyen d'aider les autres, de devenir encore meilleure à l'école et de se construire une réputation.

Non n'achète pas Antidote, demande à un ami qui est bon en informatique de l'"acheter gratuitement" pour toi. Antidote te permet de sauver un temps fou mais il s'agit vraiment d'un fruit défendu car il t’empêche d'apprendre à te réviser.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:31 PM, .Marble. said:

Congrats getting into med! Do you have any tips to share on being/becoming a straight A student?

I became a self-learner, skipped lectures if I knew the exam was multiple choice and on the text. I constantly reviewed. I was exhausted by the end of each semester. No partying, limited time with my s.o. and no texting or communication except when we would see each other once a week on Saturday nights. I treated my academics as my profession. Becoming self-taught was an advantage in med school, as I skipped the lectures there too, as it took less time to look at the notes provided than to attend the lecture. Motivation is very important, I always kept my eye on the ultimate goal which kept me driven. I lost all my friends and gained ne friends from amongst my classmates in med school, and we remain very close although we rarely see each other as we are spread around provinces now. Focus, discipline and motivation does it!

5 hours ago, Bambi said:

I became a self-learner, skipped lectures if I knew the exam was multiple choice and on the text. I constantly reviewed. I was exhausted by the end of each semester. No partying, limited time with my s.o. and no texting or communication except when we would see each other once a week on Saturday nights. I treated my academics as my profession. Becoming self-taught was an advantage in med school, as I skipped the lectures there too, as it took less time to look at the notes provided than to attend the lecture. Motivation is very important, I always kept my eye on the ultimate goal which kept me driven. I lost all my friends and gained ne friends from amongst my classmates in med school, and we remain very close although we rarely see each other as we are spread around provinces now. Focus, discipline and motivation does it!

Total devotion might have worked for you and I'm not arguing against that, but I don't think that your way is one that would work for everyone. For instance, if I did that, I would end up burning out within a few months. Yes, focus is important and academics should be your priority, but balance is important.

In my opinion, you should put enough efforts into your social life and hobbies to keep you sane and then the rest of your efforts into academics. Once you know where you stand in terms of GPA/r-score, you can re-assess and change that balance if needed/possible.

2 hours ago, Snowmen said:

Total devotion might have worked for you and I'm not arguing against that, but I don't think that your way is one that would work for everyone. For instance, if I did that, I would end up burning out within a few months. Yes, focus is important and academics should be your priority, but balance is important.

In my opinion, you should put enough efforts into your social life and hobbies to keep you sane and then the rest of your efforts into academics. Once you know where you stand in terms of GPA/r-score, you can re-assess and change that balance if needed/possible.

Fair enough. We each need to find our own path. In my case, in both volunteering and my ECs, interactions with colleagues became my opportunity for social interaction with like minded individuals. And. Ring far from the brightest lightbulb in the class, I really had no choice but to consistently work very hard to achieve the academic results I attained. I also selected electives that we’re not difficult to balance my core courses, which were not difficult per se, but the material was voluminous. I did not deviate from this rigorous path as this was the only way for me to achieve high academic grades in my studies. 

Archived