Premed 101 Forums

Some choose Toronto for residency due to its research and academic orientation, and it's possible pre-meds have the same inclination given that Toronto favours graduate students (hence those with more research oriented background).

It's also possible some choose Toronto because they have every kind of residency possible, and have the largest number of spots of competitive specialties. Maybe some people are interested in niche areas.

Perhaps others prefers a heavy dose of lectures rather than more self directed learning.

Lastly perhaps some people have no choice, it's their only offer.

I'm curious - would UofT be a bad choice if you dislike the sciences? 

I think medicine would be a bad choice if you dislike the sciences. That being said, I think U of T overhauled their curriculum lately so it's not as lecture heavy as it once was.

I think medicine would be a bad choice if you dislike the sciences. That being said, I think U of T overhauled their curriculum lately so it's not as lecture heavy as it once was.

I agree. I have heard their curriculum has beefed up the public health/health promotion/ social determinants of health focus. While that is not hardcore bench science, science is still a huge part of being a doctor.

Personally, I chose U of T because of the new curriculum, the location/city, the research opportunities, and fact that many students/physicians I talked to said it would provide you a really good education. The new curriculum is really nice with a lot of low stakes tests which is good for most people, but stresses some people out if they're super type A and need to excel on every single assessment. I really like it because it's a bit more unstructured and doesn't have a ridiculous amount of lecture and unnecessary detail. Location and research are second to none, with opportunities in every field from public health to med tech.

Archived