Premed 101 Forums

Chances With A Msc

Hey all! 

So I have a degree in nutrition with a lowsy gpa 3.2, about to do a MSc in OB/GYN research at U of A in the faculty of medicine. If I were to get a ~3.8 in that, it's a thesis based msc but will be doing classes, how many years of undergrad will they look at plus my grad gpa? Also the MSc will make me in province, havn't written the MCAT yet. Chances? Lots of EC's! 

Thanks so much!

U of C will drop the GPA from your worst year of undergrad.

If you have your MSc on hand or you will be getting it (ie. have the physical diploma) before the start of classes, they will count all of your years of graduate school as one full year for GPA purposes. 

We have no idea what your GPA will look like.  We have no idea what your MCAT scores will be like.  We have no idea what your ECs are.  Not sure that anyone can give you a meaningful answer about your chances...

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do see how it would be hard to give a meaningful reply. I was just thinking more GPA chances as it's so low. But here are my EC'S:

- International trip to India- focusing on nutrition, human rights, workers rights, social issues

- Intern at a Homeless shelter- food service/volunteer coordinator, also volunteered here as a specials events coordinator and general volunteering jobs

- Volunteer at the Edmonton Food Bank

- Volunteer for Alberta Food Matters

- Doing research this summer on Gut Microbiology- In pregnancy and infancy early life exposures 

- Director of the Veggie Club- UVIC 

- competitive sport: softball in my first year college

- Volunteer Data entry- Alberta Pregnancy and Nutrition Outcomes 

- Hoping to start as a Birth Control Educator soon

- Also hoping to do a abroad trip about different birth practices in my MSc 

- part time work, and some other random stuff

- Diet Technician currently at the Hospitals

Thanks!

U of C will drop the GPA from your worst year of undergrad.

If you have your MSc on hand or you will be getting it (ie. have the physical diploma) before the start of classes, they will count all of your years of graduate school as one full year for GPA purposes. 

We have no idea what your GPA will look like.  We have no idea what your MCAT scores will be like.  We have no idea what your ECs are.  Not sure that anyone can give you a meaningful answer about your chances...

Sorry to jump in here but I have a similar question.

So with the graduate degree, they will take the average of the graduate GPA + 3 best years of undergrad? or do they drop another year of undergrad in lieu of the graduate GPA?

Sorry to jump in here but I have a similar question.

So with the graduate degree, they will take the average of the graduate GPA + 3 best years of undergrad? or do they drop another year of undergrad in lieu of the graduate GPA?

They will only ever drop 1 year I believe. So yes, it would be average graduate GPA + 3 best year of undergrad

They will only ever drop 1 year I believe. So yes, it would be average graduate GPA + 3 best year of undergrad

Hmm interesting. My interpretation is that the grad GPA essentially replaces 1 year of UG marks. I think they may still drop your worst year of UG so that you have a GPA based on 3 'years' like other people who have completed an UG (although you only use 2 years of UG towards your GPA)

Hmm interesting. My interpretation is that the grad GPA essentially replaces 1 year of UG marks. I think they may still drop your worst year of UG so that you have a GPA based on 3 'years' like other people who have completed an UG (although you only use 2 years of UG towards your GPA)

What if someone has 5 years of undergrad work?  Does U of C drop their worst undergrad year and replaces another year with their masters GPA? How does U of C calculate GPA for masters students?

I am planning to purse masters in immunology if med school does not work out, but I am not sure if it will provide me with  GPA advantage.

From what I understand, they count all of your full time years of undergraduate work. Anything over ten years can be excluded, but it's all or none. Not just some courses, or years.

They drop your lowest gpa year if you have a degree. Your masters GPA is included as one year, and does not replace another year. You need at least two years of undergrad years included in the formula, but a masters can't replace a undergrad year. Example, ten years ago you finished your undergrad, got poor grades. Managed to do one year of post bacc studies, and then got into your masters. Unfortunately the one year of undergrad studies isn't enough, and the masters can't substitute. They will need to include your first undergrad degree.

What if someone has 5 years of undergrad work?  Does U of C drop their worst undergrad year and replaces another year with their masters GPA? How does U of C calculate GPA for masters students?

I am planning to purse masters in immunology if med school does not work out, but I am not sure if it will provide me with  GPA advantage.

I mean, I'm just speculating. These are questions you should be asking med admissions directly if you want a better response regarding how they would calculate GPA in your situation. I was guessing that the grad marks may replace, but it is likely I am wrong about that haha. 

As far as how grad GPAs are calculated, it varies by department in general (or at least it does at U of A). For instance, an MSc. student in program X may only need to take 2 courses, whereas program Y requires 4. There are huge variations at U of A, some thesis based MSc. degrees require 1 course, some require 5+. Regardless, your GPA will be calculated strictly from those courses. Whether or not it is an advantage depends strictly on whether or not you can do well in the courses (just as an FYI, a failing grade in an MSc. course is generally below a B+ at the U of A faculty of med). It is expected you will be getting As. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived