Premed 101 Forums

Seeking Advice

I am just finishing my third year of undergrad and have very poor grades (average mid 60s). I had been suffering from depression for the past few years which is why I have done so poorly. Now that I have sought treatment, I am doing much better and getting 80s and 90s. Is medicine still possible for me or will these grades hinder me even after improving? Is it too late to get my average up enough with just one year of my degree left? 

Medicine is all I've ever wanted to do I'm very disappointed with how things have gone thus far as I know I am capable. Any suggestions on how i can move forward to still achieve this would be really appreciated!

First off, I'd like to say that a medical problem you had, fought to overcome, and did overcome, should ideally not stop you from pursuing medicine completely. I got very very sick in my second year and got horrible grades. I still interviewed at two universities in the last month and still have a very good GPA calculation in the two universities (wasn't my last year, so some unis don't count it). What I am saying with this is: Don't give up. Own what you lived through and bring it to the table. You now know better than 99% of med applicants what it is to struggle with the burden of disease. Use it to become a more caring and understanding person. You will then be able to be a more caring and understanding doctor.

Do you have low grades in just one year? Med schools will not only look at your objective scores, but also if there is an upward/downward trend in your grades. If the grades from your first and second years are pretty bad, this is a bit harder to fix than if it was just one year, because then they won't be able to see it as an isolated event; it could be you trying to excuse yourself from low grades (not that this is true at all, but they usually go for lower risk candidates, if that makes any sense). Do your absolute best in your third and fourth year. Consider doing a fifth full year of courses and make sure you kill those courses as well. The more years you have, I suppose that the more it'll seem like the event really was isolated to your episode of depression.

Most importantly, however, don't hide from it and don't let it define who you are. If you've always wanted to get in med and you suffered with depression, show them that you've taken care of yourself and that you are a fighter. Your resilience will be something that most wealthy, healthy, unexperienced people with no life experience with hardship and challenge don't ever get to show in their curricula for med schools.

Good luck!

Archived