Premed 101 Forums

What Skills Do You Wish You Further Developed Before You Were Admitted To Medical School?

wish I'd pursued my hobbies in a more systematic manner, i.e. took some real classes and learned some skills

halfassed hobbies get killed so fast in med school and there is no way in hell that residency will give you time to bring them back

Lol, wow. Thanks for your input. I'm still in the first year of my undergraduate degree and I recently started oil painting classes. Was just about to give it up because of work and school. Gonna make sure and definitely make time for it now.

As a side note, I don't know if you all know this but your input and sharing your experiences really are really helpful for someone still early in their career.

I wish I learned younger how to be happy/satisfied with what you already have. I'm not speaking in term of materialist things.

Achieving goals won't make you happy per se if you can't find happiness along the road. In my opinion, it is the most important skill someone can develop.

Learn how to take care of yourself. Not just cooking, cleaning, and grooming, but how to pursue things you truly love, surround yourself with people who care about you, and value your health in your life decisions. Medical school will often actively fight against all of this.

I wish I learned younger how to be happy/satisfied with what you already have. I'm not speaking in term of materialist things.

Achieving goals won't make you happy per se if you can't find happiness along the road. In my opinion, it is the most important skill someone can develop.

I wish i had learned how to enjoy life before medical school (i.e. having hobbies) because I don't know how to enjoy life in medical school. 

Precisely what they are saying. Being in medicine won't make you happy.

Also if your expectations are that you will truly be the one to make a difference, i.e. inventing something or implementing serious change, just remember that if you want to do that you will sacrifice your work-life balance significantly. I don't know any doctor who has made a difference who does not work at least 65-70 hours a week. 

tl;dr temper your expectations

Precisely what they are saying. Being in medicine won't make you happy.

My friends and I have noticed that staff who devote their entire lives to medicine... what happens when they retire, when medicine is over. They won't even know how to function as normal human beings. It is actually kind of sad to see that a sizable number of medical people have no lives outside of medicine; that medicine is what defines them. It is important to develop interests and passions outside of medicine! I refuse to let medicine define me, but rather medicine is one of my many passions, in addition to everything else that makes me unique.

My friends and I have noticed that staff who devote their entire lives to medicine... what happens when they retire, when medicine is over. They won't even know how to function as normal human beings. It is actually kind of sad to see that a sizable number of medical people have no lives outside of medicine; that medicine is what defines them. It is important to develop interests and passions outside of medicine! I refuse to let medicine define me, but rather medicine is one of my many passions, in addition to everything else that makes me unique.

I think its important to pursue what you want. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to be very interested in medicine or commit yourself to medicine. I think if you love medicine so much that you want to do so, then do what works for you. I don't believe people who work those long hours end up regretting their life decisions, there are a lot of people out there who like being very good at one thing and get immense pleasure from that and for those people being a well rounded person just doesn't satisfy them in a way that being really good at one thing does. 

Its really important though to find out what you want, I think medical school does in a way force you to do that because I don't think its possible to survive putting in long hours into a specialty you don't like enough. At some point the rational part of you says enough is enough. 

Those staff never retire haha. I know of at least 2 staff who will either be forced (and I mean really forced) to retire due to health reasons and or die in the OR (doing the operating). One staff I know is in his 70s, has recently had an MI and still operates 2 days a week.

Those staff never retire haha. I know of at least 2 staff who will either be forced (and I mean really forced) to retire due to health reasons and or die in the OR (doing the operating). One staff I know is in his 70s, has recently had an MI and still operates 2 days a week.

Exactly what I mean. It's almost as if they wouldn't know what to do with their lives if they were to retire. 

I think its important to pursue what you want. I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to be very interested in medicine or commit yourself to medicine. I think if you love medicine so much that you want to do so, then do what works for you. I don't believe people who work those long hours end up regretting their life decisions, there are a lot of people out there who like being very good at one thing and get immense pleasure from that and for those people being a well rounded person just doesn't satisfy them in a way that being really good at one thing does

Its really important though to find out what you want, I think medical school does in a way force you to do that because I don't think its possible to survive putting in long hours into a specialty you don't like enough. At some point the rational part of you says enough is enough. 

Interesting, I actually used to think like this. Premed101 culture + university premed culture contributed to this line of thinking. Be super excellent in one area you dedicate a lot of time to, just like messi and LeBron.

But then you come across people in your life who tell you to not zone-in on only one thing and pursue different careers and man

that is some weeiiird shit!

Life is full of conflicting messages and is very unpredictable.

Anyways I quit thinking what the method for success is as life may slap me such that the opposite of what I think maybe true. Life keep teaching me hard lessons and I'm not sure really when will the learning stop. I don't know if I'm the only person going through this or whether this is common.

Interesting, I actually used to think like this. Premed101 culture + university premed culture contributed to this line of thinking. Be super excellent in one area you dedicate a lot of time to, just like messi and LeBron.

But then you come across people in your life who tell you to not zone-in on only one thing and pursue different careers and man

that is some weeiiird shit!

Life is full of conflicting messages and is very unpredictable.

Anyways I quit thinking what the method for success is as life may slap me such that the opposite of what I think maybe true. Life keep teaching me hard lessons and I'm not sure really when will the learning stop. I don't know if I'm the only person going through this or whether this is common.

No, it is very common. The school of life teaches me amazing lessons every day   :)

No, it is very common. The school of life teaches me amazing lessons every day   :)

Are you talking about "The School of Life" from YouTube?

If you are then I highly recommend people to check out that channel, it's like having a personal therapy sessions in the comfort of your own home.  ;)

EDIT: Am I allowed to share a link here? Anyway, here's one called "On Feeling Depressed" that was uploaded recently:

Are you talking about "The School of Life" from YouTube?

If you are then I highly recommend people to check out that channel, it's like having a personal therapy sessions in the comfort of your own home.  ;)

EDIT: Am I allowed to share a link here? Anyway, here's one called "On Feeling Depressed" that was uploaded recently:

I was not talking about the school of life channel, but yeah I think the school of life channel is amazing :) 

Yes agree with codebar the most important skill is to remain happy and share happiness with others 

I agree often times we think that if a current problems of ours get solved, then we will be happy. However, afterwards, we may get another problem, and then the cycle will repeat itself again. As a result , we will be living our lives like a yoyo, where we are happy on some days and sad on others -- however, that should NOT be the case.

I definitely agree that it is really important to find happiness and try to enjoy life as much as you can,  even in the presence of current problems :).

Another thing that I have learned recently is to let go. I am a perfectionist and I also like to control little details in life and I am also an over thinker, but life has taught me to let go of control.  It is a very rare event that life go as I plan, no matter how much time I spend on my plans. Therefore, I have decided a long time ago, that whenever I do something, I will put in my 100% effort, and I will let go of outcomes ( as often times, I can't control the outcomes).  I am embracing uncertainty, because I feel that uncertainty in life does build character, and whenever I embarked in a project/activity that I was uncertain about, I almost always developed and learned something new about myself or the world around me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Lol, wow. Thanks for your input. I'm still in the first year of my undergraduate degree and I recently started oil painting classes. Was just about to give it up because of work and school. Gonna make sure and definitely make time for it now.

As a side note, I don't know if you all know this but your input and sharing your experiences really are really helpful for someone still early in their career.

Welp, I need to start taking my watercolour painting more seriously as well.

It's so easy to abandon a hobby and incredibly difficult to come back into it.

Archived