Premed 101 Forums

Exchange In My Second Undergrad?

Hey everyone,

Quick question here. I am 25, completing my first year of my second undergrad (3 more after this), and I have the opportunity to attend an exchange program this upcoming fall. Now my primary reason for wanting to attend exchange is to bide time to build my extra curriculars and study for the mcat. Because the courses are rated Pass or Fail on exchange, I can lessen my study habits in class, and focus more attentively on the mcat.

It's a strategic move to try and gain more time to build my resume/extracurriculars and also study for the mcat.

Just wondering what everyone's thought were on this? I should note that exchange programs are completely elective and all the courses that I will be taking are co suffered electives and thus don't actually help my GPA or academics, however I will have two more years when I come back to bolster up my GPA

Someone posed the exact same thing recently.  Posting on premed101, I assume your primary purpose for the 2nd undergrad is to raise your GPA to apply to some medical schools.   While an exchange year could be a lot of fun and broaden your background, it is a wasted year towards GPA.  Calling it a strategic move sounds more like you are trying to justify something you want to do.   To prep and write the MCAT, you are better to take a 2-3 month focused period.

I don't think trying to study for the MCAT during an exchange is a great idea as it will hamper the benefits of immersing yourself. There are benefits to an exchange but they aren't quantifiable like GPA for example, the benefits come from broadening your horizons, which can help for interviews etc. 

Archived