Premed 101 Forums

Post Interview Discussion

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same. There's so much i didn't say. I didn't mention any of my hobbies, any of my volunteering... Ugh

It's perfectly normal to be thinking that way! Congratulations on being done, you did your best. Honestly I think only ended up mentioning two of my extracurriculars in all my answers. It worked out...

The cards have been played, now the daunting task of waiting :)

Basically gave an hour long monologue...no back and forth whatsoever. STONE. COLD.

I agree that it was difficult to bring up personal examples, but I think I really sold myself! They learned a lot about my love for red velvet cake and how much I can deadlift...really important qualities for future physicians.

Basically gave an hour long monologue...no back and forth whatsoever. STONE. COLD.

I agree that it was difficult to bring up personal examples, but I think I really sold myself! They learned a lot about my love for red velvet cake and how much I can deadlift...really important qualities for future physicians.

aha no worries. Some of my classmates had both those examples as a large focus as well (not sure if red velvet specifically) and it worked out :)

I think it was picked up by quite a few people that the interview was more structured than previous years/what we thought it would be. Don't worry about that :) 

I think it was picked up by quite a few people that the interview was more structured than previous years/what we thought it would be. Don't worry about that :)

Structure and flow depends on a number of variables, including who was interviewing you, your responses, time constraints (was there time to ask other follow ups...). Don't waste time second guessing your answers and the interview panel. Now is the easy part: your interview prep is all over. Waiting is merely the practice of sitting back and allowing the passage of time.

So come on then, how much can you deadlift?

~225 lb which I think is reasonable for a girl who doesn't follow a strict program with progressive overloading...just kinda do what I want.

yeah, they maybe asked 1-2 follow-ups but went off the predetermined question list for the rest. thinking back to what I said and cringing hard :(

~225 lb which I think is reasonable for a girl who doesn't follow a strict program with progressive overloading...just kinda do what I want.

yeah, they maybe asked 1-2 follow-ups but went off the predetermined question list for the rest. thinking back to what I said and cringing hard :(

We should be weightlifting friends when we get in (being cautiously optimistic about the chances of me getting in haha)

Structure and flow depends on a number of variables, including who was interviewing you, your responses, time constraints (was there time to ask other follow ups...). Don't waste time second guessing your answers and the interview panel. Now is the easy part: your interview prep is all over. Waiting is merely the practice of sitting back and allowing the passage of time.

That's great advice, and I know I should relax.. but I can't help but replay and dissect every aspect of my interview. Maybe I shouldn't have taken a break from work and research .

I'm recalling more and more things that make me cringe as the days go by. There are moments when I think, "maybe that didn't go too bad" quickly followed by, "nope. You're an idiot."

Haha - I find now is the hard part actually. Nothing you can do but wait. You just feel powerless

Marry me lol

Side note: enjoyed the references to premed101 in Western's admissions video... even saw my username up on the screen when they went to the website hahaha

YAAAASS, I saw that too and recognized your username! Congratz, you made it!!

I have been self doubting and second guessing myself all day today.

I was at work. It does not help that my job, a retail one, is very repetitive in what one does (or at least in what I had to do today) - so my mind was fixed on running through yesterday.

Could have said that better, should have included this, wow did I articulate that well enough? Seriously, 8 straight hours of me criticizing myself.

I really shouldn't. I know I shouldn't. Heh, when I was talking to a MS-1 that day after interviews (for any MS-1 that reads this, you guys are truly welcoming and warm, and I really appreciate that), he told me I am probably going to be a much harsher critic of myself than any of my interviewers are...

It's hard not to, though. UWO is my dream school, and is the only school I was granted an interview at. Second time trying. Had to give up a US acceptance last cycle due to money. It's hard not to over analyze every little detail.

At the end, it will be a long month. I hope I get an offer, or a good WL position. 

I love the school, and I love the students and faculty this school brings.

Really, I hope I can be a part of that.

On a positive, I really took time at the end of my interview to get to know each of my interviewers. Or, well, I tried. So hopefully that looks good.

I have been self doubting and second guessing myself all day today.

I was at work. It does not help that my job, a retail one, is very repetitive in what one does (or at least in what I had to do today) - so my mind was fixed on running through yesterday.

Could have said that better, should have included this, wow did I articulate that well enough? Seriously, 8 straight hours of me criticizing myself.

I really shouldn't. I know I shouldn't. Heh, when I was talking to a MS-1 that day after interviews (for any MS-1 that reads this, you guys are truly welcoming and warm, and I really appreciate that), he told me I am probably going to be a much harsher critic of myself than any of my interviewers are...

It's hard not to, though. UWO is my dream school, and is the only school I was granted an interview at. Second time trying. Had to give up a US acceptance last cycle due to money. It's hard not to over analyze every little detail.

At the end, it will be a long month. I hope I get an offer, or a good WL position. 

I love the school, and I love the students and faculty this school brings.

Really, I hope I can be a part of that.

On a positive, I really took time at the end of my interview to get to know each of my interviewers. Or, well, I tried. So hopefully that looks good.

I probably won't be telling you anything you havent heard before, but having done a couple of interviews before (mostly MMIs before Western), I do know that your feeling about it is not typically a good predictor of how you actually performed. I know of several people who felt great about their intw and did not get in, others who went home and cried that night and who are now successful med students. Plus, the more you analyze your experience, the more you will feel like you said certain things that you feel may not have been the best things to say, or the best way to portray yourself. This interpretation may not be that of your interviewers at all.

I spoke to someone I know after my interviews this year. He sat on several admission committees in a few schools in the US and Canada, and he told me that ultimately, you cannot pick on everything you say and try to evaluate how good of an answer that was, simply because it is not always that clear cut what they are evaluating or really looking for. For instance, I thought that they wanted to see a certain breadth of experience, but you have a poster a few messages above who said they got in when they only spoke of 2 or 3 experiences in all of the interview. 

You seem like you really want this, and I'm sure it showed during the interview. I think that your enthusiasm will definitely play in your favour. As to the specifics, who knows? As long as you don't have the evaluation grid in front of you, you definitely can't tell how well you did. Just trust yourself, and hopefully we will be in the same class next year :) 

We should be weightlifting friends when we get in (being cautiously optimistic about the chances of me getting in haha)

I did a double take at this statement, because at first read I took it to mean that you would be using friends as weights for weightlifting... Although at the weight you're doing, you may need to lift two friends at once to get a challenging workout  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived