Premed 101 Forums

How Are You Preparing For The Mmi?

Hey Everyone!

I thought I'd start a thread so we can discuss ways we're prepping for the MMI. I've heard many different views on prep and how you can't really prepare for the MMI. Right now, I'm finding questions online or in books and timing myself talking. I've familiarized myself with the 4 pillars of the ethical dilemma but I don't know how medical based the scenarios will be- i've heard they're really random! How are you guys preparing, how long do you prepare for? If anyone has gone through an MMI yet, any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Also, if anyone has any tips for Mcmaster MMIs specifically, that would be awesome. My OT and PT interviews are next week and I'm getting pretty anxious :wacko:  

Hey Everyone!

I thought I'd start a thread so we can discuss ways we're prepping for the MMI. I've heard many different views on prep and how you can't really prepare for the MMI. Right now, I'm finding questions online or in books and timing myself talking. I've familiarized myself with the 4 pillars of the ethical dilemma but I don't know how medical based the scenarios will be- i've heard they're really random! How are you guys preparing, how long do you prepare for? If anyone has gone through an MMI yet, any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

Also, if anyone has any tips for Mcmaster MMIs specifically, that would be awesome. My OT and PT interviews are next week and I'm getting pretty anxious :wacko:  

I've done an MMI ( not for PT but it is the same idea) at the U of A. 

I prepared with my sister, she would ask the question and I would respond. The key things I found were to learn how to plan what you say quickly- I found it really helpful to write things down and plan it out like an essay (eg. summarize problem,  point 1, point 2, point 3, conclusion). Also learning to talk for a fairly long time without rambling is also good, you don't want to be done talking by only 2 minutes. Practicing with a person ( even if they know nothing about the MMI) is good because it helps you to feel the pressure of the interview and get used to it. 

I've done an MMI ( not for PT but it is the same idea) at the U of A. 

I prepared with my sister, she would ask the question and I would respond. The key things I found were to learn how to plan what you say quickly- I found it really helpful to write things down and plan it out like an essay (eg. summarize problem,  point 1, point 2, point 3, conclusion). Also learning to talk for a fairly long time without rambling is also good, you don't want to be done talking by only 2 minutes. Practicing with a person ( even if they know nothing about the MMI) is good because it helps you to feel the pressure of the interview and get used to it. 

Same here. It is possible to have hit all the points after 2-3 minutes or so, but you can always elaborate with more specific examples. It would also be good to find out if the schools you're interviewing at give you pen and paper to write things down during the 2 minutes prompt reading time, and practice accordingly (you'll be less stressed about remembering your important talking points if you are allowed to write them down, but may get complacent and be uncomfortable with not having that crutch during the actual MMI).

Those are good points! I do tend to ramble sometimes so I'm definitely going to practice a bit with my roommate tomorrow aha. I don't think Mcmaster allows us to bring anything with us so I'm practicing without. It really is hard to organize your thoughts in such a limited time frame! I do practice by summarizing, identifying the main issue or dilemma, exploring different options and describing the advantages and disadvantages of each, and then ending by repeating my main points in a concise way. I'm hoping to talk for about 4 minutes and then answering any prompt questions to make sure I've hit all the points they're looking for. 

Archived