Premed 101 Forums

Extension On Immunizations/cpr/police Record Check?

Hope interviews went well for everyone!  I met so many amazing, accomplished applicants and it's been a great journey with y'all.

I'm trying not to think too much now that interviews are out of the way, and I don't want sound presumptuous.  However, I realized I might have a slight problem if I was to receive an offer.  I believe most med schools have a deadline of ~August 1 for submission of immunization record/CPR/police record checks.  I will be travelling to Asia right after my last exam until the first week of August for research, so I was wondering if August 1 tends to be a hard deadline, or do schools allow extensions?  I haven't been able to find any info online and I'm hesitant to get my CPR certification, TB testing, and all that done before I leave since I might not get an offer.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I would do the CPR and TB testing in advance so that they're out of the way. Worst comes to worst you won't need them. For the police check, the procedure for what you need to do is different depending on where you live. For example, I'm from Toronto, so I had to get a waiver emailed to me from the risk management office at my school and bring that signed to the police station in order for them to do the police check with a money order (20$). They did not ask me for ID at any point so I imagine you could get a close friend or family member to do that for you while you are away. Also, you can email the schools you are waiting to hear from and ask about whether they can be a bit lenient with the deadlines to get a direct answer. Also, just thought I would add that the vaccines can be more extensive than just the TB test (for example I ended up having to get another MMR and Tdap as well) and have just been told I need to get a Hep B booster for next year. )

• 1 month later...

I would do the CPR and TB testing in advance so that they're out of the way. Worst comes to worst you won't need them. For the police check, the procedure for what you need to do is different depending on where you live. For example, I'm from Toronto, so I had to get a waiver emailed to me from the risk management office at my school and bring that signed to the police station in order for them to do the police check with a money order (20$). They did not ask me for ID at any point so I imagine you could get a close friend or family member to do that for you while you are away. Also, you can email the schools you are waiting to hear from and ask about whether they can be a bit lenient with the deadlines to get a direct answer. Also, just thought I would add that the vaccines can be more extensive than just the TB test (for example I ended up having to get another MMR and Tdap as well) and have just been told I need to get a Hep B booster for next year. )

Thanks for that I did not realize how easy it was to get the police check done in Toronto - is that true across all of Onatrio do you know?

Thanks for that I did not realize how easy it was to get the police check done in Toronto - is that true across all of Onatrio do you know?

Its a bit different in each city/area in Ontario. Toronto actually has one of the longest/most convoluted processes (though its not too bad). Some places you can walk in and get the police check the same day and you don't need to worry about printing waivers, whereas you need to wait 3 or 4 weeks to get it back in Toronto and they are very picky with the paper size for the waiver and you need to follow the instructions very carefully.

Archived