Premed 101 Forums

Hl Ib Credit As A Part Of Gpa?

Safi

So I'm going into my undergrad next year and am going to be taking all first year courses even though I have the opportunity to not take Year 1 Chemistry because of the IB chemistry credit im completing

I was just wondering if I could take year 1 chemistry and then depending on which is the higher mark use that for my GPA?

It's a weird question but going in knowing I have a high mark feels a lot better 

Thanks for any help!

You would have to ask the university authorities for clarity but I would be most surprised if you could do this. I believe your IB credit is irrelevant for your GPA, it gives you the right to take a higher level course period. In fact, I would be surprised if you are allowed to take year 1 chemistry,, as effectively you would be repeating a course, one that you already passed.

You would have to ask the university authorities for clarity but I would be most surprised if you could do this. I believe your IB credit is irrelevant for your GPA, it gives you the right to take a higher level course period. In fact, I would be surprised if you are allowed to take year 1 chemistry,, as effectively you would be repeating a course, one that you already passed.

I think I have the choice to take the course first year if I get a level 5 or higher (level 5 is 84-92) anything less than a level 5 results in me be unable to use it for university.

I don't think I'd be forced to take a higher level course and I spoke with the IB Coordinator at my school who said he'll contact the university after I write my exam (in July) so I can find out in September if I am able to use it as part of my GPA

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have the choice to take the course first year if I get a level 5 or higher (level 5 is 84-92) anything less than a level 5 results in me be unable to use it for university.

I don't think I'd be forced to take a higher level course and I spoke with the IB Coordinator at my school who said he'll contact the university after I write my exam (in July) so I can find out in September if I am able to use it as part of my GPA

No if you get the transfer credit, it would be pass/fail.

Archived