Premed 101 Forums

Tuition Tax Credit

Hi there,

I'm filling out the 2017 Personal tax credits return and was wondering: if we would like to use our saved up tuition tax credits to defer tax deductions on earnings, would we fill this out on a TD1 form? I'm confused because on the TD1 form, it states that if we want to defer tax deductions with tuition credits, we need to fill out a T1213 (unless total income is less than claim amount). Would really appreciate any input or advice on this! Thank you!

Hi there,

I'm filling out the 2017 Personal tax credits return and was wondering: if we would like to use our saved up tuition tax credits to defer tax deductions on earnings, would we fill this out on a TD1 form? I'm confused because on the TD1 form, it states that if we want to defer tax deductions with tuition credits, we need to fill out a T1213 (unless total income is less than claim amount). Would really appreciate any input or advice on this! Thank you!

You can do both! The TD1 is so you can use your 2017 credits to reduce your tax taken at source, whereas the T1213 has a spot for credits carried forward from previous years (unlike TD1 which is only 2017 credits). If you complete both and have a ton of credits, it may mean your employer takes no tax off your paycheck until next year when it is reassessed. 

You can do both! The TD1 is so you can use your 2017 credits to reduce your tax taken at source, whereas the T1213 has a spot for credits carried forward from previous years (unlike TD1 which is only 2017 credits). If you complete both and have a ton of credits, it may mean your employer takes no tax off your paycheck until next year when it is reassessed. 

Thanks for letting me know! :) 

Wondering about the amount people put for "Net amount requested for tax waiver $" (for instance, do you put your entire amount of tuition tax credits on the T1213 form? Or would you try and estimate the amount for how much you're expected to make for that year?) Hope that question makes some sense lol. 

• 1 month later...

Some provinces, ON for example, give you separate provincial and federal tuition tax credits. When filling out the TD1 form, do I put only the federal portion (I’m leaving ON and will be filling in BC next year)? I’m not clear on whether the ON tuition tax credits can only be redeemed if one files his/her taxes in ON or from anywhere in Canada. Thanks!

They can be redeemed anywhere but sometimes there is a conversion - I moved mine from Alberta to Ontario.  Sometimes it's that you get the equivalent of your federal credits as provincial credits, sometimes it transfers straight over, but there's something.

• 10 months later...
On 3/29/2017 at 10:25 AM, Carrie Underwood said:

Thanks for letting me know! :) 

Wondering about the amount people put for "Net amount requested for tax waiver $" (for instance, do you put your entire amount of tuition tax credits on the T1213 form? Or would you try and estimate the amount for how much you're expected to make for that year?) Hope that question makes some sense lol. 

Bump...I would also like to know what amount to put on the T1213 form under 'other' and 'net amount requested for tax waiver'. I reside in Ontario and will be staying in Ontario for residency. My most recent NOA notes that I have unused federal and Ontario tuition+education amounts of $100k, and $95k.  For the 'other' and 'net amount requested for tax waiver' lines, do I use:

A. $195k (combine federal and Ontario tuition+education amounts)

B. $59k (approximate total salary of PGY1)

C. $29.5k (portion of PGY1 salary I will make from July 1 2018 to December 31 2018)

D. I haven't calculated this yet, but the amount of tax owed on $29.5k of income received from July 1 to Dec 31)

E. Other?

Archived