Premed 101 Forums

When Interviewers Smile During The Interview...is That A Good Or A Bad Sign?

I keep obsessing over my interview performance. When I was asked a personal MMI question in one of the schools that I interviewed at, my interviewer was trying to hide a smile for few seconds, and then he smiled. I was not saying anything funny, so I am not sure what to make of that?  

I was smiling when I was giving my response, though !! 

Are interviewers allowed to smile when you are not saying anything funny? Is that a good or bad sign? 

I was talking about serious shit, like how I call my mom every night when I'm taking a break to check in on her as she works two jobs, and the interviewer kept on grinning and looking at other interviewers. I took that as a bad sign...figured she thought i was being a biatch.

I'm gunna go out on a limb here and say he was probably grinning because she thought that your close relationship with your mom was sweet

i'm overthinking everything like you are right now.. i had an interviewer at an MMI station smile at the end of my interview shook my hand and said "goodluck" and was told he did not do that to anyone else. In the moment thought it was a great sign, but now im thinking " wow he must've thought i really messed up my station and is trying to tell me goodluck you need it "

• 3 weeks later...

I would not read anything into it regardless of whether the interviewer smiled or frowned. It is not relevant to how you did at a given station.

yeah it is hard but you just cannot really read anything from any of them. It is just over thinking with is hard to stop on one hand but really also pointless on the other. 

At one of my panel interviews, I heard the interviewers start laughing after letting me out and closing the door. I've been trying to figure out if I said anything stupid, but I've given up now (only because I can't remember anything anymore). I'm just ready to accept whatever the results are, and its making the wait less stressful (although, random things still trigger anxiety attacks).

One of my interviewers started eating a muffin during my interview, and I was worried that I was being boring, but it turned out ok. Moral of the story is don't read too much into anything and just try to keep yourself busy for the next few weeks. 

hope it was a good muffin ha. 

I would say that is kind of crossing the line to be honest - for one thing you now are doing something that you won't for the other interviewees (unless you strangely have a lot of muffins). It is ok to be a bit strange, but it is less ok to be different between sessions. 

of course I am glad it worked out mind you, ha.

Archived