Premed 101 Forums

Reference Contacted

Hey, OOP here and one of my references was contacted today as well!! Quick clarification, this just means we passed the interview but the top 60% passes right? So I shouldn't actually take this as a reason to celebrate quite yet? :P 

And yeah I'm nervous too now!! 

Hey, OOP here and one of my references was contacted today as well!! Quick clarification, this just means we passed the interview but the top 60% passes right? So I shouldn't actually take this as a reason to celebrate quite yet? :P

And yeah I'm nervous too now!! 

No, you should not be celebrating just yet. As pessimistic as I sound, OOP is very competitive and passing the interview doesn't mean a whole lot. 

References are almost certainly contacted over a period of a few days if not more than a week. To try and contact two references for hundreds of people in one day would be impossible.

I thought that references were first contacted by email to set up a phone interview, which in my mind can be done in a single day. 

Obviously I'm just guessing, so thanks for clearing that up. :)

One of my references was contacted yesterday. For those also contacted I'm wondering what time slot you interviewed and what your last names first letter is - trying to determine if there's a certain order they contact in.

I interviewed at 9:30 Saturday and last name starts with a B

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if its an automatic rejection if they can't get ahold of one of your references? They emailed me a couple days ago saying they couldn't get ahold of my references and asked me for updated contact information. The thing is the person stopped working at the place where I volunteered and moved away and I'm having troubles getting their new contact information. Do you think if I emailed them and explained the situation they would let me change my reference to the person who currently works there? I'm really worried they'll automatically reject me even though my other two references are good.

Anyone know if its an automatic rejection if they can't get ahold of one of your references? They emailed me a couple days ago saying they couldn't get ahold of my references and asked me for updated contact information. The thing is the person stopped working at the place where I volunteered and moved away and I'm having troubles getting their new contact information. Do you think if I emailed them and explained the situation they would let me change my reference to the person who currently works there? I'm really worried they'll automatically reject me even though my other two references are good.

They usually go to your next reference but they will require a solid reason. You must understand people make up stories in order to replace a bad reference with a good one they found later. Just clarify it with them, and it shouldnt be a reason for rejection unless they become suspicious, then they will just take it to the committee, for a full file review.

Archived