Premed 101 Forums

Financial Assistance Application

Not sure what time exactly, but you can email the whole package to busrary@uwo.ca so you don't have to worry about processing times or anything. I recommend just getting it in the day before if you can.

While we're on this topic, I also heard from a first-year med friend yesterday that tuition is going up 6000$ for med students starting Sept. 2017 or later.

In other words.... get those bursary apps in

Not sure what time exactly, but you can email the whole package to busrary@uwo.ca so you don't have to worry about processing times or anything. I recommend just getting it in the day before if you can.

While we're on this topic, I also heard from a first-year med friend yesterday that tuition is going up 6000$ for med students starting Sept. 2017 or later.

In other words.... get those bursary apps in

Wow interesting... Do you think it'is going to increase by $6000 per year starting next year? That is a significant increase... maybe its just for the entire 4 years (which sucks, but isn't ridiculous)

Wow interesting... Do you think it'is going to increase by $6000 per year starting next year? That is a significant increase... maybe its just for the entire 4 years (which sucks, but isn't ridiculous)

6K?

Good grief. I mean seriously that awful if true. 

I'll have to check with my buddy again but I think it's gonna be an extra $6000 per year.... which ya, really sucks.

I don't know if this has all been set in stone yet though, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Apparently it's to subsidize a new medical building they're gonna build.

I'll have to check with my buddy again but I think it's gonna be an extra $6000 per year.... which ya, really sucks.

I don't know if this has all been set in stone yet though, but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Apparently it's to subsidize a new medical building they're gonna build.

The Dean was big on that when I was there - major expansion and future plans. 

If that is true the bump would provide approximately 4million extra per year. Not exactly in the ballpark needed for the new building (which was 100s of millions in estimates at the time I was looking at it) but I guess every bit helps. 

Having a medical school class pay for a building that they will never use seems beyond harsh though. 

The Dean was big on that when I was there - major expansion and future plans.

If that is true the bump would provide approximately 4million extra per year. Not exactly in the ballpark needed for the new building (which was 100s of millions in estimates at the time I was looking at it) but I guess every bit helps.

Having a medical school class pay for a building that they will never use seems beyond harsh though.

Holy smokes. Wouldn't Schulich become the most expensive med school in Canada if this were the case?

Holy smokes. Wouldn't Schulich become the most expensive med school in Canada if this were the case?

I mean of course we would need to wait for the official word on any such tuition increase - and there are those at the school that would be against something like that (including naturally the current students, ha). 

If it did go through then yeah that would be out pricing I believe the others. Which is one of the reasons I am a bit cautious on thinking such a thing could occur. Western for instance is one of the leading research centres on the impact of family income and those going to medical school. Spoiler - we have a skewed affect the wealthier in society end up going to medical school. The point of that research was to come up with ways to oppose that. 

In case anyone is interested about the tuition, you can take a look at the following link:

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/financial_assistance.html

Note the disclaimer at the top:

A sample outline of costs that might be incurred across the 4 years of your Undergraduate Medical Degree (as of August 2016) is shown below. Please note this table is to assist with your personal budgeting and is not a legal document, nor does it represent that actual tuition that will be charged by the University. Tuition has been calculated based on an average of historical trends and is for reference only.

L

In case anyone is interested about the tuition increase, you can take a look at the following link:

https://www.schulich.uwo.ca/medicine/undergraduate/future_students/financial_assistance.html

Note the disclaimer at the top:

A sample outline of costs that might be incurred across the 4 years of your Undergraduate Medical Degree (as of August 2016) is shown below. Please note this table is to assist with your personal budgeting and is not a legal document, nor does it represent that actual tuition that will be charged by the University. Tuition has been calculated based on an average of historical trends and is for reference only.

L

lost track - what was this years tuition? 

I'm not sure where people are getting the 6K value though...It's a steady increase.

and in roughly 4 more year it will be basically double what I paid in my first year at Western. People were complaining about how much it had increased in my first year. I can only imagine what it is like now. 

Even tuition for an undergrad degree (like BMSc) has almost doubled since I was an undergrad. There's not much that students can do about it unfortunately. 

perhaps but there is a critical mass point ha 

so are we saying the tuition next year will be 6K higher and thus roughly 32-34K? 

Well according to that chart on the website (although these are just estimates), by 4th year the 2020s will have to pay $30,625.67 as their tuition.

So no, I don't think that tuition will go up by that much in one year, but someone who is more informed can correct me if I'm wrong. It'll just increase over the years.

Well according to that chart on the website (although these are just estimates), by 4th year the 2020s will have to pay $30,625.67 as their tuition.

So no, I don't think that tuition will go up by that much in one year, but someone who is more informed can correct me if I'm wrong. It'll just increase over the years.

sounds fair - the increase listed there is only about 4K which I think is confusing me ha. 

Regardless - ouch!

Im confused. If I'm living with my parents still, do I need to attach the notice of property assessment and mortgage information?

Yes. It asks you for your parents' residence (first) and your own (second). If you live with them, you just put down your address and do not have to re-fill the mortgage information a second time. 

Im confused. If I'm living with my parents still, do I need to attach the notice of property assessment and mortgage information?

SAME, I don't know what any of this stuff means lmao :huh:  All I know is that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell! Thanks undergrad!

You need to lay off the pre-workouts man. This is what I picture when I think of Sauna, excitedly typing away: 

tumblr_inline_mz8uu05HuM1r34pq2.gif

That is pretty accurate

I swear I'm gonna quit this summer man. I made a bodybuilding.com order today and I was like "this is my last f*cking order idgaf". Just need it to get me through exams and after that I'm done for good!!

Archived