Premed 101 Forums

Volunteer/extracurricular/courses/certifications For Sports Med?

Hi there,

My ultimate goal is to become a sports medicine doctor. Right now I am looking for courses or anything that would complement my application and also help me gain experience in the field. I have done first aid courses and I am looking to take a biomechanics course and a sports psychology course. Does anyone have other ideas of resources I could look into? I am currently living in Winnipeg doing my MSc so if there are any local resources I could look into that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! 

Just out of curiosity,hat is your MCs in? something sports med related?

In addition to this, was your Bachelors in an associated area? I know a few kinesiology students who went the sports medicine route and had obtained CEP (clinical exercise physiologist) certifications through CSEP (Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology) during undergrad. They worked in clinics to prescribe exercise to their referred patients. However, to get this certification you need to have a kin degree. 

"Right now I am looking for courses or anything that would complement my application and also help me gain experience in the field"

​I know this isn't the main part of your post but do you think anyone looking at your application will be interested in what courses you took? My understanding is the only thing about ones education that they care about is there grades.

On 4/4/2017 at 12:34 PM, Mithril said:

Coach a team, be interested in sports yourself and be a part of intramural or varsity teams or marathons, volunteer for sporting events.

I initially was interested in sports med too but realised I liked EM better.

-

The benefit of doing a full 5-year EM residency is that big centres are more partial towards them. I don't plan to work in a big centre and prefer more rural areas while still retaining the skills of an FM doc. Also, some fellowships are only available to 5-year programs.

"Right now I am looking for courses or anything that would complement my application and also help me gain experience in the field"

​I know this isn't the main part of your post but do you think anyone looking at your application will be interested in what courses you took? My understanding is the only thing about ones education that they care about is there grades.

This, if even. By the time you get to apply to residency, they won't even care about the grades you got in those courses in undergrad or graduate school. Also, most don't care about the marks in medical school either from your pre-clerkship courses. From what has been said so far, getting involved in other non-curricular aspects may benefit you the most. Though don't limit your scope. You may realize you like other specialties more.

Archived