Premed 101 Forums

Academic Advice

I didn't do kin, so I'm not much help for kin specifics, but I'll share what I've learned in general.

Determine what your goals are now: if there's a certain med school you want to get into, what requirements (GPA, classes, is research important, are extra curriculars important) are needed for that school. Keep your options open, you may realize you don't want to do med. Try to create strong study habits, university is vastly different than high school - you'll probably have to try. Find a solid balance between school and the rest of your life, too much of either can hinder both. I think it's important to have real world experience too, for a me that was travelling whenever I could afford it. Determine when to take the MCAT (after 2nd or 3rd year - it's helpful to have already taken the classes). Remember your goal and priorities (you will probably have to make some small sacrifices), but still have fun and live life. Remember that one test or class isn't going to break or make your average.

Others might disagree, but I'd say don't call yourself a "premed." Unfortunately, it doesn't mean anything until you're an actual med. And half the people in some of your classes will consider​ themselves premed, most won't make it.

If you're doing well academically apply for all the scholarships and bursaries you can - in my 4th year I got paid to go to school.

The journey is just as important as the end result, before you know it your undergrad will be done.

etudie makes some great points. I did Kinesiology, just not at U Sask. Granted I am not in med school yet, I really enjoyed my program. I deviated a little from the traditional curriculum since I transferred from another program. But this allowed me to take a bunch of courses I was interested in and specialize in a unique area. 
Every program is different, but I think that the point I'm trying to make here is this: you make your own road in university. The program isn't going to do that for you. Take things you are interested in and make the degree work for you instead of the other way around. 

Archived