Premed 101 Forums

Nursing And Low Gpa

BCMB_UNBC

I am in my 5th year of a Biochemisty and Molecular Biology program with a minor in psychology. I first started this degree thinking I would want to go into medicine but after years of job shadowing and volunteering, I realized that a career in nursing is best suited for me. However, I've had a rough time in this degree and my gpa is very low. I have one more year left until I graduate and I'm sitting at a 2.00 (4.33 gpa scale). I don't know if there is even any hope of me getting into a nursing program (I'm not looking at the accelerated program either I really wouldn't mind doing another 3-4 year towards another bachelor degree). What I have seen is nursing school really focus on GPA rather than the whole student, leaving out my volunteer work, experience, and other qualifications. Is there anything I can do moving forward ? (I'm taking my physiology prerequisites next year and I will aim for good grades in those courses however that might not offset my low gpa. 

The average needed to get admitted to both accelerated nursing and regular 4 year nursing is not that high... I'd suggest you look into different schools and how their application process as some schools will definitely have a personal essay section or a subjective component where you can shine (like the CASPer).

Archived