Premed 101 Forums

Hello premed101,

I am a student from McMaster University who has yet to declare a major. I have narrowed it down to two subjects, Physiology and Biochemistry, and of course, as with many other students, the goal is medicine. I love anatomy and all the physiological processes, but biochemistry is also high up there in my favourite subjects. I did well in my chemistry and biology courses in 1st year.  I know both prepare you good for medical school, but would anyone like to offer any advice as to which major I should study?

Thank you for your time.

As someone who has taken courses in both, physiology was far more helpful. I hated my biochemistry courses with a passion. I do not want to memorise molecular signalling pathways nor count ATP production.

Considering you like both, my choice would be physiology as I still brush up on physiology even to this day.

As someone who has taken courses in both, physiology was far more helpful. I hated my biochemistry courses with a passion. I do not want to memorise molecular signalling pathways nor count ATP production.

I started off majoring in biochemistry and switched to physiology for just this reason.

Considering you like both, my choice would be physiology as I still brush up on physiology even to this day.

I started off majoring in biochemistry and switched to physiology for just this reason.

Thanks for your quick responses. I am leaning towards physiology too after talking to my parents just now as well. 

Also, a general trend everywhere is that biochemistry tends to be a harder program. Also, if you are learning basic concepts, might as well learn a few more things that are more useful (physiology is way more high yield than molecular biology)

I did my undergrad in biochem and although I really enjoyed it, I find physiology is (obviously) much more relevant to medicine. Biochemistry is good for explaining the nitty gritty details, but often lectures don't go into that level of detail (or if they do they very much gloss over it).

I also second this --> Also, a general trend everywhere is that biochemistry tends to be a harder program.

I'm not sure about Mac, but in my program we had very little electives. Our program was essentially mapped out for us and I had the enjoyment of having to take 3 years of organic chemistry (*insert sarcasm here*). Overall, I would say take what you most enjoy, but for relevance, go with physiology (also, add some anatomy if you can, I wish I had a more solid foundation in that!)

I did my undergrad in biochem and although I really enjoyed it, I find physiology is (obviously) much more relevant to medicine. Biochemistry is good for explaining the nitty gritty details, but often lectures don't go into that level of detail (or if they do they very much gloss over it).

I also second this --> Also, a general trend everywhere is that biochemistry tends to be a harder program.

I'm not sure about Mac, but in my program we had very little electives. Our program was essentially mapped out for us and I had the enjoyment of having to take 3 years of organic chemistry (*insert sarcasm here*). Overall, I would say take what you most enjoy, but for relevance, go with physiology (also, add some anatomy if you can, I wish I had a more solid foundation in that!)

Thank you very much for your input. I think I'll do Physiology as my degree. My parents said I can always just minor in Biochemistry.

Archived