Organic Chemistry

What To Wear In A National Research Conference?

10 posts in this topic

I'll be attending a national conference through a poster presentation. I was wondering what to wear (as a guy). Should it be suit+tie or would a shirt with a collar be fine? 

Thanks! 

Think business casual. A dress shirt and dress pants usually does the trick. If you were doing an oral presentation then maybe a suit would be slightly more appropriate. Can I ask what conference specifically? 

Dentiste likes this

Poster presentation shirt and dress pants...I've attended a few and don't think I really saw anyone presenting a poster wearing a full suit. Side note, interesting to see that how formal someone is at these conferences clothing-wise tends to be inversely proportional to how much of a big shot they are in their field hahaha

ExercMed likes this

I'll be attending a national conference through a poster presentation. I was wondering what to wear (as a guy). Should it be suit+tie or would a shirt with a collar be fine? 

Thanks! 

Which conference is it, out of curiosity?

Depends on the conference. I have been to local research days in clinical departments where everyone wore a full suit, and international conferences where people wore jeans with a dress shirt. 

Which conference is it, out of curiosity?

PM'd you! 

That makes sense. I think ill stick with a classic dress shirt+pants. Can't go wrong with business casual  :P

Although make sure you break the shoes in beforehand - remember you will be on your feet for a long while. Made that mistake at a conference a few years ago in Budapest. I almost had to crawl back to my hotel and was useless for the last day of the conference - hard to network whilst grimacing and standing in one spot - lol!