Premed 101 Forums

Does Mcmaster Drop Stations?

I had a related question for MMI scoring. When grading, do the assessors have to rank the interviewees? For example, does each assessor have to give out half their scores below 5/10 and the other half above 5/10? Basically, I'm curious if randomly being in an exceptionally strong circuit can really hurt your chances. Also, does anyone know if assessors are interviewers in just one circuit, or multiple throughout the application cycle? Thanks!

I had a related question for MMI scoring. When grading, do the assessors have to rank the interviewees? For example, does each assessor have to give out half their scores below 5/10 and the other half above 5/10? Basically, I'm curious if randomly being in an exceptionally strong circuit can really hurt your chances. Also, does anyone know if assessors are interviewers in just one circuit, or multiple throughout the application cycle? Thanks!

Nope, they're not required to rank you or hand out a certain number of any score. Assessors also generally interview for a full day, seeing more than one circuit.

Nope, they're not required to rank you or hand out a certain number of any score. Assessors also generally interview for a full day, seeing more than one circuit.

probably still some statistical checking in the background for outliers, but I will say that is similar the other schools I have worked with. Ranking for one thing is just really hard to do - you have to wait until the end of the day to normalize things which means remembering something from "ages ago". 

Basically, I'm curious if randomly being in an exceptionally strong circuit can really hurt your chances.

Assessors are encouraged to use the entire grading scale if possible. However, this isn't always possible when there happens to be an exceptionally strong (or an exceptionally weak) circuit. In those cases, grades may cluster in the top or bottom half of scale respectively. It's not common though, because there is typically a normal distribution in which there are better, average, and poor performing candidates.

If you happen to be average in a group of above-average candidates, then you're going to look worse by comparison. If you're average in a group of below-average candidates, then you're going to look better by comparison. Ultimately though, your answers will still be graded on their own merit.

Archived