Premed 101 Forums

When You Get An Interview, To Get In Is It Only 100% Interview Or Do They Take Someting Else In Consideration ?

From what I understand your interview score is given priority and if there are ties the one with the higher GPA will gain admission. 

Yes - you get a score out of 4 on your interview and are ranked by that score; all those who get 4 will be ordered by GPA (highest to lowest) and so on down the interview scores (idk whether they're continuous or increments of 0.5) until the initial 164 spots have been filled (my understanding). Interview is the major factor, but not the only one. 

EDIT: Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

At the info session after the interview, they said that they give you a mark on your interview out of 4, and add it to your GPA, for a total score out of 8. They then use those scores to rank the applicants. :)

I'm not sure they would release that type of info and even if they did I don't think anyone really knows for sure how the scoring works? Regardless, if you made it past to the interview stage realistically the only thing that will make a significant difference is your interview

I'm not sure they would release that type of info and even if they did I don't think anyone really knows for sure how the scoring works? Regardless, if you made it past to the interview stage realistically the only thing that will make a significant difference is your interview

And does anyone know what was de WGPA cut-off this year in the french stream ?

when you hold to just a high cut off then it doesn't make too much sense to continue to hold GPA in extreme regard - you end up making someone with 3.93 worth a lot less than 3.94 that way as post cut off you just don't have much range in the final scores, and we know that such a minor difference would have no impact on the quality of the end doctor.

when you hold to just a high cut off then it doesn't make too much sense to continue to hold GPA in extreme regard - you end up making someone with 3.93 worth a lot less than 3.94 that way as post cut off you just don't have much range in the final scores, and we know that such a minor difference would have no impact on the quality of the end doctor.

Morelan exactly; in other words they wouldn't interview someone with a high 3.8 or low 3.9 if they will have such a significant disadvantage.

Morelan, so do you think it's fully interview based then?

They explicitly mentioned this in the info session. 4 for GPA and 4 for interview.

I have a feeling that the way they score the interview out of 4 probably makes a significant difference when it comes to acceptance however. 

They explicitly mentioned this in the info session. 4 for GPA and 4 for interview.

I have a feeling that the way they score the interview out of 4 probably makes a significant difference when it comes to acceptance however.

I think so, too. If 50% of the overall score is based on something that varies very little between applicants, I'm sure that the interview score is the main deciding factor.

You could say that the interview is worth 100% and then GPA is used as a tie breaker. 

They give you an interview score from 0-4, going up in 0.5 increments. Then they add your GPA for a total out of 8. This was said in the info session. 

Basically, everyone interviewing has over a 3.5 GPA (or in other words everyone's GPA is within 0.5 of each other) so someone with a 0.5 higher interview score will almost always gain admission over someone in the lower 0.5 group. If 2 people are in the same 0.5 cohort for interview scores, the one with the higher GPA will gain admission. Since the increments are in 0.5, there are a lot of ties so those with a higher GPA have a slight advantage (especially when it comes to wait list movement). This probably contributes to the reason why the average accepted wGPA at Ottawa is notoriously high. 

TLDR: Interview IS the main deciding factor and GPA is used as a tie breaker for those with the same interview score. 

You could say that the interview is worth 100% and then GPA is used as a tie breaker. 

They give you an interview score from 0-4, going up in 0.5 increments. Then they add your GPA for a total out of 8. This was said in the info session. 

Basically, everyone interviewing has over a 3.5 GPA (or in other words everyone's GPA is within 0.5 of each other) so someone with a 0.5 higher interview score will almost always gain admission over someone in the lower 0.5 group. If 2 people are at the same 0.5 cohort for interview scores, the one with the higher GPA will gain admission. Since the increments are in 0.5, there are a lot of ties so those with a higher GPA have a slight advantage (especially when it comes to wait list movement). This probably contributes to the reason why the average accepted wGPA at Ottawa is notoriously high. 

TLDR: Interview IS the main deciding factor and GPA is used as a tie breaker for those with the same interview score. 

So basically have to hope for that perfect interview score :P 

Morelan exactly; in other words they wouldn't interview someone with a high 3.8 or low 3.9 if they will have such a significant disadvantage.

Morelan, so do you think it's fully interview based then?

Form the spread from the acceptances we see at least the past it is a bit of tie breaker system for people with similar interview scores (you can see them working their way through their levels on the waitlist). Probably still something similar giving what they are still doing. 

Is there a chance that they'll send the acceptation/refusals sooner than may 9th ? Has it happened before ?

Not that I am aware of - all the schools are bound to release them at the same time. They want to avoid a race scenario where each school is trying to get them out fast to get the people they want before the other schools can accept them as well. 

• 1 month later...

idk why I never contributed to this thread but to answer some of your questions for future people reading this, yes the GPA matters because there isnt an infinite possibilities of interview scores like a GPA (GPA can be 3.832, 3.938 etc.). There is only a finite possibility of interview scores (you may hear people refer to them as bins in the past), hence you will have dozens of applicants with identical scores, meaning they still need a way to distinguish applicants with the same interview score (enter GPA and in the future maybe they can add a score for the sketch which is in the talks). Even after that they can distinguish between if you are bilingual, your reference letters, difficulty of program, visible minority, rural, etc. However what I can safely assume is that your GPA will almost never compensate for a lower interview score. As someone previously said, the scores are on 4, but are probably spaced out in such a manner that GPAs will not compensate. I am sure in the past where people would apply with GPAs varying from 3.6 to 4, yes it would make a difference, but now that most have over 3.90 I am sure it will practically impossible to compensate a lower score with a higher GPA. 

So in a sense, interview scores matter first, then the GPA.

Given that they take GPAs to the third decimal point now I am sure its rare you find applicants with the exact same GPA and interview score.

Not like this ever matters to the applicant, just try your best at the interview, don't overthink it and hope for the best!

Mr Duck

• 5 weeks later...

Archived