Premed 101 Forums

Wgpa Questions: Very Urgent

Hello,

I will be applying to medical school next session, 2017-2018. 

First year, I was recovering from a very serious illness and thus, for one term I was taking four courses, not five. I was registered with Disability Services at the time due to my health circumstances. Disability Services at this university considers 3.0 FCE a "full course load." The illness is medically documented along with medical advice to not exceed that course load. I have proof that I was registered with Disability Services, that I completed more than 3.0 FCE that year and the necessary medical documentation. 

Ever since, I have taken a real full course load (5 FCE) AND multiple summer courses which would indicate my commitment to, and ability to work in, a rigorous workload (the point of the wGPA). Given the circumstances I was in first year, all the supporting documentation and my workload following the illness, what is the likelihood they will approve my Academic Explanations Essay allowing me to qualify for wGPA? 

This is very important because the worst mark I have even gotten was B+, but there were a couple of them in full-year course, thus contributing significantly to my GPA. I fear my file will not be reviewed if I do not qualify for wGPA. If I were to qualify, my wGPA would well surpass the 3.6 requirement for review. My application also will be more centred around the ABS, essays etc..., but obviously, I must have the GPA piece. I was told that if I were to write an Academic Explanations Essay, they will never tell me whether or not I qualified for wGPA, so I wanted to get a sense from here. What do you think? A part of me feels like they would have to approve it because it is for medically documented reasons and I was ​technically a "full time student." Then again, I doubt I would qualify because UofT is pretty "all or nothing" kind of place. I really appreciate honest opinions and potential suggestions in addressing this problem as UofT Med is my absolute dream. Thanks!

There is an academic explanation part of your application that is meant to explain these types of things. I would expect that you would qualify especially as it was documented. You can always call admissions and ask them about your situation specifically and determine if there is other documentation that will help make your case. 

Try emailing them; a direct answer from them is better than any speculation on our part. My anecdotal experience with med schools has ranged from them being understanding to them being very strict when it comes to what's written on their website. My gut feeling is that UofT will let you have your wGPA given that you have adequate proof but that's not indicative of what will actually happen.

Thanks a lot. One further question: UofT's wGPA information page says that it will remove "your lowest FCE for each year", but then later says on the page that it will remove "your lowest 3 FCE". So, is it your lowest mark from year 1, your lowest mark from year 2 and your lowest mark from year 3 OR is it lowest 3 marks regardless of year? I ask because my lowest mark from this year would not be one of my lowest marks overall. The description on the website it a little misleading. Thanks so much again!

Thanks a lot. One further question: UofT's wGPA information page says that it will remove "your lowest FCE for each year", but then later says on the page that it will remove "your lowest 3 FCE". So, is it your lowest mark from year 1, your lowest mark from year 2 and your lowest mark from year 3 OR is it lowest 3 marks regardless of year? I ask because my lowest mark from this year would not be one of my lowest marks overall. The description on the website it a little misleading. Thanks so much again!

they just drop your lowest 3.0 credits regardless of what year those are from if you completed 3 full time years. Could all be from one year, could be spread out....

Archived