Premed 101 Forums

Toronto Family Med Internal Match

Hi I'm interested in applying to the Toronto family medicine program. I read on their website that they do an internal match. Does anyone know how it works? Do you rank all the sites in order of preference? Is it purely a random lottery match or does the program take into account other factors (i.e sites rank applicants or based on their CARMS final rank list)

Hey yeah you rank all the sites in order of preference, you could find detailed description of each teaching site: http://www.dfcm.utoronto.ca/teaching-sites

It is a purely random lottery match, no other factors were considered.

However, when you rank the sites by number, they give you 500 characters why particular sites (around 50 words). I put a few words why my top three sites, and got my first one!

Hey yeah you rank all the sites in order of preference, you could find detailed description of each teaching site: http://www.dfcm.utoronto.ca/teaching-sites

However, when you rank the sites by number, they give you 500 characters why particular sites (around 50 words). I put a few words why my top three sites, and got my first one!

hehehe congrats - those are always a bit of hit or miss :)

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:55 AM, LittleDaisy said:

Are some TO family Med sites more competitive than others? 

Hey! I'm having trouble understanding the utility in writing a blurb to explain your ranking if it is purely lottery based/random. That said I was under the impression that it wasn't lottery-based - which would make sense given what is being said about having the opportunity to justify your rank order. I have my heart set on a very specific GTA site so just wanted to clarify! Thanks :)

• 1 month later...
On 1/22/2019 at 9:53 AM, wintersnight said:

Hey! I'm having trouble understanding the utility in writing a blurb to explain your ranking if it is purely lottery based/random. That said I was under the impression that it wasn't lottery-based - which would make sense given what is being said about having the opportunity to justify your rank order. I have my heart set on a very specific GTA site so just wanted to clarify! Thanks :)

It is not purely blurb or lottery based.

They have faculty members reading each future resident's paragraph on why they rank a specific site #1, some DT sites are more popular than others. Try to rank the first 3 sites that you will be happy in. Best of luck!

Archived