Premed 101 Forums

Kwantlyn Polytechnic Nursing To Med

Congrats at the scholarship! 

Any program in any undergrad institution is acceptable in med. What is important is how you maintain your GPA and have an interesting CV (good mix of clinical, volunteer, research and hobbies). 

Then again, in nursing its slightly different, since it might be difficult to fit in those "premed" classes into your schedule, pass/fail classes and subjective nursing theory classes. 

By the way, I would not recommend you to go into nursing if you fully 100% want to go into med. It is slightly unfair that you are taking a spot of someone who might really want to go into nursing, especially considering it is a professional program. If you could see yourself being happy as a staff nurse, NP or nursing researcher/academic, and you also want to keep med as an open option too, then go for nursing. BUT if you see yourself as nothing but a doctor, then it might be a better idea to go the classic "premed" route...

Congrats at the scholarship! 

Any program in any undergrad institution is acceptable in med. What is important is how you maintain your GPA and have an interesting CV (good mix of clinical, volunteer, research and hobbies). 

Then again, in nursing its slightly different, since it might be difficult to fit in those "premed" classes into your schedule, pass/fail classes and subjective nursing theory classes. 

By the way, I would not recommend you to go into nursing if you fully 100% want to go into med. It is slightly unfair that you are taking a spot of someone who might really want to go into nursing, especially considering it is a professional program. If you could see yourself being happy as a staff nurse, NP or nursing researcher/academic, and you also want to keep med as an open option too, then go for nursing. BUT if you see yourself as nothing but a doctor, then it might be a better idea to go the classic "premed" route...

Ignore the topic of unfair of taking a spot. Many people leave professional programs all the time to go into medicine. There is no difference between leaving Nursing than it is to leave engineering, or to leave a crappy biology degree - someone missed out regardless.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/27/2017 at 10:51 PM, dynomedasaur said:

Don't go to Kwantlen for an entire degree... it will not be looked at as an equivalent 'university'. 

My understanding was that Kwantlen was rebranded to KPU and does offer bachelors degrees now, and thus would be equivalent. Someone can fact check, but i'm pretty sure that is the situation now. 

Ok, I'm not 100% sure on this, but user beware. 

I know if I am on the admission commitee and I see applications from 1500 with averages between 80-95% UBC, UC, UT, McGill grads compared to a Langara grad with a 95% average BBA (or in this case a Kwantlen BSc biology degree), I will hands down go for the UBC/UT et.al. grad's and not even blink an eye in discarding the Kwantlen/Langara Grads. 

10 hours ago, dynomedasaur said:

Ok, I'm not 100% sure on this, but user beware. 

I know if I am on the admission commitee and I see applications from 1500 with averages between 80-95% UBC, UC, UT, McGill grads compared to a Langara grad with a 95% average BBA (or in this case a Kwantlen BSc biology degree), I will hands down go for the UBC/UT et.al. grad's and not even blink an eye in discarding the Kwantlen/Langara Grads. 

Sure, there will be some biases maybe - but once you're above a certain GPA, it probably doesn't really matter. Many schools simply plug GPA into a formula and do a rank order list for interview offers. So school name wouldn't even come up then.

Perhaps though, post-interview there *may* be a consideration. However, i find that unlikely, unless the person was mediocre in the interview etc. Or was really close to the end of the pack of the rank order list. Sure a 95 at Kwantlen is different than a 95 at UBC. But the point is, once you're at the interview stage, does that really matter? Would you really care? You don't need a 95 to be successful in medical school anyways.  It is not as if that 95 at kwantlen is suddenly equivalent to a 70 at UBC and you have to be worried about academic competency. 

This is why i like what Sask does: Get above 83%, and its all the same.  

Medical school admissions is constantly conflated that a 90% average is somehow "better" or "more important" than a 80%.  It really, really is not.  Its just supply and demand for seats that has made GPAs skyrocket and coupled with selective choosing of courses, and GPA inflation(perhaps). 

Maybe its my personal preference, but i think the quality of education received at the smaller schools is generally actually better for 100/200 level. And then most of those students transfer over to a bigger school for 3/4th year.  But if some of them choose to stay for their 3rd/4th years and finish their degrees, i don't fault them.

Unless you do a small specialized program like Pharmacology or Physiology, or do a professional program like Pharmacy or Medical Lab Science...most of the typical science majors like Biology, Integrated science that the vast majority of students go through....are pretty lackluster. There is really nothing special about it at all. Nothing that makes them superior in any way to someone who works hard and does well at say a KPU biology degree. 

Just my 2 cents, because I have seen through peers who did 2+2 transfer programs thrive in medicine and easily top 5-10% of the class in academics. 

Archived