Premed 101 Forums

Repeating Science Courses

JKT

Hello, 

I am a first year student at the University of Waterloo studying health studies. During first term I got a 61 in chemistry, a 69 in introductory cell biology and a 76 in the chemistry lab. However, the rest of my grades during first year have been 80+. Will these three marks heavily affect my ability to get into medical school? Should I retake these courses?

Thanks 

just buckle down and get good grades on all the rest of your courses, almost every canadian school has a policy to drop your worst courses, and/or years, so by taking a full course load the rest of your uni career and doing well these grades will not affect your chances at the majority of Candian med schools

not only would the original courses still count but most schools won't count the new takings at all. Plus that could mean you are taking less effectively than 5.0 credits for the year (or you are just taking too many courses in a term and killing yourself) and then the year itself won't count for some schools either. It is a mess!

Basically never retake a course. 

Now there are a lot of ways those low courses won't actually count in the end for many if not most schools. Instead move forward I would say with more knowledge - every course will count, aim to get more than 85% in every single course. 

since you are also from one of my home schools I will also just mention that for Western some of those lab courses you are likely taking will help you as well as you are effectively course overloading. That can be a help perhaps in the future. 

Archived