Premed 101 Forums

Research Areas

I was wondering if it's a problem that I am involved in different labs for two years? Here's the length of commitment in each lab:

A lab - Nov 2015 to present

B lab - Feb 2016 to September 2016(will return this fall 2017)

C lab - May 2016 to August 2016 (I considered this as my summer RA work)

C lab- May 2017 to August 2017

D lab- March 2017 to present

thoughts?

I don't see why that would be a problem if you were active in each of them (i.e. actually contributing). Otherwise, it might look like resume padding. Being in different research areas is always a good thing because it shows diversity and sticking with some of these for multiple years (Lab A and C) shows commitment to your research.  

To some degree, it's how you write about them in your sketches.

I was wondering if it's a problem that I am involved in different labs for two years? Here's the length of commitment in each lab:

thoughts?

Seems okay- how many publications/international conferences/abstract publications have you had, just out of curiosity?

Seems okay- how many publications/international conferences/abstract publications have you had, just out of curiosity?

did poster presentations at universities located in Downtown Toronto. All are peer-reviewed; one from local, national and international level. Why? lol

thoughts?

On average, how many hours/week were you involved in each lab during those time frames? For example, between May and August 2016, it looks like you were involved in three labs which makes me wonder whether you were really making a significant contribution to any of them. 

Diversity is good, but serious commitment to one thing is also good. You might be totally in the clear (not knowing specific hour breakdowns, your role, or your reasons for doing multiple as opposed to just one full-time), but I would just caution you to make sure to avoid even the appearance of resume padding. Is it an option to work in just one lab full time or are you involved in multiple labs because you can't get full time hours at any one place? 

On average, how many hours/week were you involved in each lab during those time frames? For example, between May and August 2016, it looks like you were involved in three labs which makes me wonder whether you were really making a significant contribution to any of them. 

Diversity is good, but serious commitment to one thing is also good. You might be totally in the clear (not knowing specific hour breakdowns, your role, or your reasons for doing multiple as opposed to just one full-time), but I would just caution you to make sure to avoid even the appearance of resume padding. Is it an option to work in just one lab full time or are you involved in multiple labs because you can't get full time hours at any one place? 

A lab- I have a great responsbility here from making a website for the PI, literature search and retrieval, proofreading and editing of research contents, library management (endNote, etc.), essays and articles summaries to be included in the study....etc. (once a week)

B lab- data analysis, article summaries, did an independent study without taking the pre-requisites of the course..(twice a week)

C lab- just maintained patient confidentiality, administrative tasks and helped place the samples in appropriate lab section (once a week)

D lab- data analysis, performed basic stats, retrieved multiple data from previous study and etc. My role is kind of the same like in A lab. (twice a week)

Each labs only requires me to go once or twice per week. What do you think?

did poster presentations at universities located in Downtown Toronto. All are peer-reviewed; one from local, national and international level. Why? lol

I was just asking to see the amount of contributions you've invested (that often translates to # of publications and what not). I'm not sure how they'll look at it, but I guess your strength here is diversity. To put in a perspective, I stayed in one lab over the span of 2 years, but managed to do national/local presentation, published abstract, and as well as a scientific paper in a high impact journal as a co-author. But while you went in to 4 different labs 1~2 times a week, I went into one lab 7 times a week (i just really enjoyed it). Make sure to highlight the strength (in your opinion)of you experience when you talk about your lab experiences!

I was just asking to see the amount of contributions you've invested (that often translates to # of publications and what not). I'm not sure how they'll look at it, but I guess your strength here is diversity. To put in a perspective, I stayed in one lab over the span of 2 years, but managed to do national/local presentation, published abstract, and as well as a scientific paper in a high impact journal as a co-author. But while you went in to 4 different labs 1~2 times a week, I went into one lab 7 times a week (i just really enjoyed it). Make sure to highlight the strength (in your opinion)of you experience when you talk about your lab experiences!

The posters that I presented have different topics. In A lab, we will publish an article by this year where I will be the co-author. Then I will ask my PI if we could present it somewhere. In D lab, I feel like my PI only devoted a certain study for me out of all the ones available in the lab which made me say that I have a great responsibility in the project. The lab has a lot of research students though.

What do med schools look at in research component of an applicant aside from commitment and genuine interest? You mentioned diversity so it means I am on the right track?

Archived