Premed 101 Forums

My Next Step?

Slightly feeling defeated. I decided to take a 5th year to help boost my GPA. Took a class, that did not help me at all, but lowered my GPA. Anyways, I was hoping to get a 3.7 or higher in my 5th year in order to have a chance at Wester, Queens, Dal, Mcmasters. But, I think my GPA will be under. 

3rd yr. 3.53 

4th yr. 3.80

5th yr. 3.64

I applied to masters but have not herd back from any schools thus far. What to do not? 

Slightly feeling defeated. I decided to take a 5th year to help boost my GPA. Took a class, that did not help me at all, but lowered my GPA. Anyways, I was hoping to get a 3.7 or higher in my 5th year in order to have a chance at Wester, Queens, Dal, Mcmasters. But, I think my GPA will be under. 

3rd yr. 3.53 

4th yr. 3.80

5th yr. 3.64

I applied to masters but have not herd back from any schools thus far. What to do not? 

drat that is annoying to say the least 

ok well I mean I masters won't fix the GPA issue and that is the problem - although it could set you up for other career options which you might be considering as well. You haven't included years 1 and 2 so that probably means they aren't at a level you are happy with. 

What is your MCAT score? 

For Canada there aren't a ton of options unfortunately unless you are willing to complete an entirely new degree. There are perhaps out of country options that could be explored. 

drat that is annoying to say the least 

ok well I mean I masters won't fix the GPA issue and that is the problem - although it could set you up for other career options which you might be considering as well. You haven't included years 1 and 2 so that probably means they aren't at a level you are happy with. 

What is your MCAT score? 

For Canada there aren't a ton of options unfortunately unless you are willing to complete an entirely new degree. There are perhaps out of country options that could be explored. 

I am writing my MCAT this summer, I was planning on applying to medical school in October. I now, dont see the point. 

Perhaps I will have to look at going overseas. Which is something, I really didnt want to do. 

I am writing my MCAT this summer, I was planning on applying to medical school in October. I now, dont see the point. 

Perhaps I will have to look at going overseas. Which is something, I really didnt want to do. 

You have to do a full analysis - I mean your GPA on paper isn't great but you have to check for wGPA for various schools, and look as well at years 1 and 2. 

The US may be an option if you do well on the MCAT - clearly that test is important for you. 

It won't be easy - I mean you already knew that - but you have to explore everything to plot out the best route. We can go over things here to help

I think that you have to sit down and do a bit of soul searching. Your best bet for Canada is:

1) To complete an entirely new UG degree in a "GPA favourable" program, so that you can raise your GPA to 3.9+. This would put you eligible for most 2nd UG favourable schools. 

2) Write your MCAT and get a balanced 513 score

Now, Canada is obviously the much safer option in the long run and if you believe that you achieve a high GPA, which honestly mirrors your belief that you can succeed in medical school, then do the safe bet and do a 2nd UG. It might not be the most pleasant path, its going to test your sanity and your drive, but in the end you might end up where you want to be. 

Now I say MIGHT because it is difficult, and it is definitely not the norm for individuals to succeed doing this. However, if medicine is what you want to do, you should be willing to sacrifice a few more years to get what you deserve. You are the only one that can decide if you are able to do this, and you have to be willing to dive in 100%.

Sincerely,

Someone who just did a 2nd UG and got in. 

• 2 weeks later...

What are your first and second years looking like?

MacMaster possible with high CARS and Casper.

McGill possible if 1st/2nd years looking simliar to above and IP.

Otherwise 2nd degree is the best chance at getting in in Canada. Abroad also a possibility.

My 1st and 2nd year are lower. 

I actually got accepted into my Masters, as it is something that I wanted to do, since I am interested in research! 

I am going to write my MCAT this summer, and hopefully score well. 

I will see what happens after my Masters! 

I think that you have to sit down and do a bit of soul searching. Your best bet for Canada is:

1) To complete an entirely new UG degree in a "GPA favourable" program, so that you can raise your GPA to 3.9+. This would put you eligible for most 2nd UG favourable schools. 

2) Write your MCAT and get a balanced 513 score

Now, Canada is obviously the much safer option in the long run and if you believe that you achieve a high GPA, which honestly mirrors your belief that you can succeed in medical school, then do the safe bet and do a 2nd UG. It might not be the most pleasant path, its going to test your sanity and your drive, but in the end you might end up where you want to be. 

Now I say MIGHT because it is difficult, and it is definitely not the norm for individuals to succeed doing this. However, if medicine is what you want to do, you should be willing to sacrifice a few more years to get what you deserve. You are the only one that can decide if you are able to do this, and you have to be willing to dive in 100%.

Sincerely,

Someone who just did a 2nd UG and got in. 

Honestly, these are the success stores that make people like me, and Im sure others not give up! Thank you for sharing this with me!

I got into my Masters (so happy, excited to conduct research), and I will write my MCAT this summer. We shall see how the future pans out. But, I will not give up! 

Archived