Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Dentistry Class Of 2021 Accepted/waitlisted/rejected

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Result: Waitlisted (Emailed and was told good chance to receive offer)

GPA: 93.5%
IP/OOP: IP
DAT (AA + PAT): 21 + 17
Interview: Felt good and was confident! Definitely better than last year!
Year of study: Graduated UG 2016 

ABS/PS: Lots of varied long-term experiences, research and shadowing. Worked on PS for a while.

Not sure where to attend if I get the call from Western but congrats to those who are accepted!

ABS/PS: Lots of varied long-term experiences, research and shadowing. Worked on PS for a while.

Not sure where to attend if I get the call from Western but congrats to those who are accepted!

Hey is that what you were told exactly in the email? "Good chance to receive offer"?

I was told my position "in the past have received offer". I wanted to have realistic expectation about myself. Thanks in advance if you could share.

Hey is that what you were told exactly in the email? "Good chance to receive offer"?

I was told my position "in the past have received offer". I wanted to have realistic expectation about myself. Thanks in advance if you could share.

Sorry I interpreted that as a good chance to receive an offer. I got an email saying "in the past people in your position have received an offer"

Come to Western so we can watch the Leafs win the Stanley Cup next year  :)

Result: Waitlist 

GPA: 89.2 %

IP

AA 21 PAT 22

Interview: Felt nervous for the first 2-3 questions and I think that the interviewers clearly noticed this. Thought I ended it strong but guess it wasn't good enough for an offer! 
Year of study : M.Sc completed

ABS/PS: Had essays reviewed by many healthcare professionals and felt very good about them. Lots of research experience, volunteering, work and a little shadowing (~20 hours)

Declining waitlist for UofT offer. Admissions said I have a good chance of acceptance in their email. Hopefully that opens a spot for another worthy candidate. 

Good luck to all! 

GPA: 88.5%

IP

AA 21 RC 20

Interview: I guess it wasn't good enough

Year of study: M.Sc

ABS/PS: research/ shadowing/ volunteering/ work

Emailed and was told: In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future. :-(

GPA: 91.5%
IP
AA 21 RC 22
Interview: I didn't feel too great about it, but tried to remain hopeful. The weird questions threw me off and they could definitely see that. I also remember not clearly explaining why I wanted to do dentistry at Western. 
Year of study: 5th UG - Graduating in June
ABS/PS: wet lab experience, philanthropic club executive, faculty of science peer mentor/leader, hundreds of hours shadowing. 

I was told my waitlist position has not gotten an offer in previous years :( 

MultiQuo

•  
  •  

Result: Waitlisted

GPA: 88.6%
DAT: 24RC, 21AA
Interview: Felt really good about it, maybe with the exception of the last question
Year of study: One year out of undergrad

ABS/PS: ABS is probably average, personal statement and essays are probably above average

I emailed them and was told that in recent years, applicants in my position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission.

Schulich Medicine has been doing this "waitlist likelihood" thing for a while now, and it's been like this:

High
"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low
"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future."

So, maybe it's a third category?

EDIT: Wanted to add what I PM'd another member. 
I believe this is the first year that Schulich Dentistry has given out information like this regarding the waitlist, but Schulich Medicine has been doing it for many years now. The dentistry faculty is also following medicine in terms of the new 3.0/5.0 rule next cycle, as well as an interview format that is similar to medicine (ditching the CDA style), so if the trend of following Schulich Medicine is continuing, then I believe it's likely that they have the three waitlist categories as well! This is all my own speculation though, I don't believe anyone knows any other information.

Schulich Medicine has been doing this "waitlist likelihood" thing for a while now, and it's been like this:

High

"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

Normal

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."

Low

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission. While there are no certainties, we wanted to communicate this information to you in an attempt to allow you to be as informed as possible in making decisions about your future."

So, maybe it's a third category?

Thanks for clarifying. It makes sense now. The 3 categories you mentioned are consistent with the emails they sent this year. 

Archived