Premed 101 Forums

Schulich Dentistry Class Of 2021 Accepted/waitlisted/rejected

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya we've been using it a year already, makes us better than UT for sure ;)

Sim lab makes absolutely no difference in your education. I graduated from UofT. I drilled plastic teeth in sim lab. You drill plastic teeth in sim lab. Yes, UofT's sim lab is older. But all of the equipment functions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what does your new sim lab tangibly provide you? 

Pretty sure that information is kept confidential. 

Ya, because more than 2/3s of the class at UWO is drawn off the waitlist (uoftnumber1. sorry, couldnt help myself after reading KFCs comment)

Hello!

Does anyone know stats of WL from two years and prior?

Last year was 38 people. Someone else (a current student) said it's typically 28-30. Maybe this year will be high again because with the introduction of the ABS there will be more overlap with competitive med applicants.

I have a couple friends on the high waitlist for UWO and neither have been accepted yet. If anyone knows that they are not accepting their UWO offer, please let admissions know. Gives time to people who need to make fall plans or need to sign up for summer courses.

Last year was 38 people. Someone else (a current student) said it's typically 28-30. Maybe this year will be high again because with the introduction of the ABS there will be more overlap with competitive med applicants.

I have a couple friends on the high waitlist for UWO and neither have been accepted yet. If anyone knows that they are not accepting their UWO offer, please let admissions know. Gives time to people who need to make fall plans or need to sign up for summer courses.

I actually think it's going to be less this year :/

I actually think it's going to be less this year :/

Why? Med acceptances will be shuffling around a lot over the next month and UWO deposit is due in just over 2 weeks.

I think if you're high waitlisted, you'll more than likely get an offer sometime over the summer (especially within the next month).

Sim lab makes absolutely no difference in your education. I graduated from UofT. I drilled plastic teeth in sim lab. You drill plastic teeth in sim lab. Yes, UofT's sim lab is older. But all of the equipment functions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what does your new sim lab tangibly provide you? 

Ya, because more than 2/3s of the class at UWO is drawn off the waitlist (uoftnumber1. sorry, couldnt help myself after reading KFCs comment)

I'd say it makes a difference. Simply comparing it to our old lab we're able to be more efficient and get more confidence in our skills before letting us loose on real patients. That way we can focus more on patient skills rather than the pure carpenter-dentistry side of things. Our endo equipment apparently is top notch. We even got these fancy new microscopes to use if we desire to learn with them (most of our class doesn't use them, but it's neat to see what's out there). We have digital x-rays in the simulation clinic now... the throughput of those allowed us to pretty much double our learning efficiency in endo. The new 'wet' rooms have also basically doubled in capacity to improve efficiency (models, denture work etc). I think overall it's a big step up from our previous lab. It's not perfect but it's a big upgrade.

I mean what you're saying is true... Previous classes are doing just fine with the simulation practice they got from the 'old' sim clinic. But it's definitely not something I would overlook as a deciding factor.

And to that low blow... during our entrance year, I'm quite sure the UofT wait-list moved almost completely...

At the end of the day you're a dentist coming out. The quality of dentist depends 75% on you and 24% on your peers. I'd say 1% on the school.

Does anyone know why they ask if students are applying to medicine if they don't take that into consideration when filling the class?

I heard/read somewhere that, reportedly, Schulich Dentistry is looking to adopt MMI for the interview process (I could be totally off-base). Potentially like McGill, if one were to obtain interviews for both Dentistry and Medicine, applicants would just attend one MMI which would count for both schools.

Also probably as longhaul said, for internal tracking/auditing. 

spongebob-butthurt.gif

Hey guys,

Does anyone know or would guess (based on last years' trends, etc) how many people would potentially go on the high waitlist and how many would go on the low waitlist ? Last year, nearly 38 ppl got off the waitlist and it is very unlikely that ALL of them were taken off of such a long high WL ! Unless I'm wrong and there's a normal kinda waitlist involved, which I personally doubt lol

Hey guys,

Does anyone know or would guess (based on last years' trends, etc) how many people would potentially go on the high waitlist and how many would go on the low waitlist ? Last year, nearly 38 ppl got off the waitlist and it is very unlikely that ALL of them were taken off of such a long high WL ! Unless I'm wrong and there's a normal kinda waitlist involved, which I personally doubt lol

There is a normal waitlist... it was the emails that didn't say anything about "people in your position have/haven't gotten an offer in the past".

A friend of mine talked to admissions and they were very conservative with who they sent the high waitlist emails to (so there is a margin of error). I would guess less than 20 people. They made the high waitlist based on several application cycles (not just last year's 38 people) and they made it so that based on these past stats, everyone on the high waitlist will get an offer (if all goes how they predict). Due to being conservative with the high waitlist, they will also most likely dip into the normal waitlist.

spongebob-butthurt.gif

Lmfao you guys gotta relax. Comparing uoft to uwo is like comparing pizza to tacos....they're both awesome

Archived