Premed 101 Forums

Failed Cfpc?

conan88

Hi all I just took the CCFP exam this past weekend and have been feeling extremely worried over how the exam went (both SOOs and SAMPs). I feel I did not perform my best at this exam and I would like to prepare for the likely scenario of me failing either one or both parts. I am especially worried about the SOOs. I am not sure what else I could have done to improve my performance.

Could someone shed light on what I could do if I were to fail the CCFP exam / where to find supervisors as I prepare for the next exam?

Thanks!

Depending on the province, you may be able to work with no/minimal supervision while waiting to rewrite. This is especially true if you have passed your LMCC.

Manitoba is the one that I am aware of, and I believe this is possible in New Brunswick as well.

Otherwise, just know that pretty much every resident seems to feel the same as you after the exam, and that it is usually without cause (ie most people seem to pass).

Hope this helps!

Not that this helps but I feel the same way about the SOO. Felt like I choked and not sure how my performance will be a pass considering all of the points I realized I missed after the exam. However, the bar is really quite low and everybody seems to feel similarly even though the vast majority pass. I have also heard many say that this year's SOO was very difficult. The information I have seen regarding how pass/fail is determined allows for numerous topics to be missed/done poorly and still result in a pass. I am unsure if you need to pass every station to pass the entire SOO or if superior performance in one negates a poor performance in another.

My understanding is that in the event of a fail result, you need to get approval from the college for restricted registration. This occurs after everyone else gets licensed. I believe ~2 weeks later. At that point, you are able to practice as long as you have an agreed upon supervisor. My understanding of this is that it is not super easy to find someone to agree to this, although it is not very onerous on them. They need to review cases with you weekly at first and then less often as time goes on. I'm not sure if you would pay them for this or how the arrangement would pan out. I also don't know the implications of this if your plan was to locum (do you need a supervisor in each locum area, etc?).

In the mean time, just apply to the college as you normally would. If you do get a fail result, contact both the college and your program to determine next steps. 

hopefully you will do just fine - it is always so hard to figure out how well you are doing for those exams, regardless of specialty. 

Thank you so much for your encouragements!

Not that this helps but I feel the same way about the SOO. Felt like I choked and not sure how my performance will be a pass considering all of the points I realized I missed after the exam. However, the bar is really quite low and everybody seems to feel similarly even though the vast majority pass. I have also heard many say that this year's SOO was very difficult. The information I have seen regarding how pass/fail is determined allows for numerous topics to be missed/done poorly and still result in a pass. I am unsure if you need to pass every station to pass the entire SOO or if superior performance in one negates a poor performance in another.

My understanding is that in the event of a fail result, you need to get approval from the college for restricted registration. This occurs after everyone else gets licensed. I believe ~2 weeks later. At that point, you are able to practice as long as you have an agreed upon supervisor. My understanding of this is that it is not super easy to find someone to agree to this, although it is not very onerous on them. They need to review cases with you weekly at first and then less often as time goes on. I'm not sure if you would pay them for this or how the arrangement would pan out. I also don't know the implications of this if your plan was to locum (do you need a supervisor in each locum area, etc?).

In the mean time, just apply to the college as you normally would. If you do get a fail result, contact both the college and your program to determine next steps. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also feel like I did not perform up to par on the CFPC exam even though I apparently did decently (well enough to pass each station) during the practice SOOs. I too think about all the points I missed during the SOOs!

Thank you so much for sharing I am going to wait until I have my results before finding a locum just to save myself from the embarrassment of having to tell someone I failed. I agree I will get on with the college application for now. 

I thought the SAMPs were difficult but fair.

I thought the SOOs this year were infinitely harder. I've talked to some people who also feel this way. Trust me, you're not the only person who think they failed the SOOs. I'm also preparing myself for a redo.

I'm in the same boat.  CMG FM R2.  SAMPs -- difficult, but not absurd.  SOOs -- completely railroaded me.

Definitely gearing up for a possible fail, particularly on the SOOs.  

Not entirely sure what, if anything, I can do to ameliorate the impact of a fail, but I'm busy scheming anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking this exam in the fall and am curious as to what happens is one portion of this exam is failed. I know it's an overall failure but do you have to redo them both? Are the results shared with anyone other than the candidate, like our FM Program and Site Directors? I feel like I know a lot of people who have failed either the SOOs or the SAMPs.

Hi Skiordie,

Your best bet is to phone the CCFP and ask to get an official reply. If you fail the SAMPs and pass the SOOs, you only need to repeat the SAMPs for the next exam. The results are automatically sent to your FM Program unless you state in writing by a certain date that you do not wish for them to send it along. The information is used by your FM program for internal improvement of the program. 

4 hours ago, Corie said:

Hi Skiordie,

Your best bet is to phone the CCFP and ask to get an official reply. If you fail the SAMPs and pass the SOOs, you only need to repeat the SAMPs for the next exam. The results are automatically sent to your FM Program unless you state in writing by a certain date that you do not wish for them to send it along. The information is used by your FM program for internal improvement of the program. 

I really hope this is true 'cause I'm in that boat and I'd love to only have to redo one half of the exam.

I wish both of you the best. You certainly can do it. Along with your other study resources, make sure you study systematically covering the CCFP's objectives (points posted on their website); I cannot stress this point enough. Here's an reflection written by a smart, humble and practical preceptor. To my surprise, he had only passed this exam on his third try. http://www.cfp.ca/content/cfp/59/9/981.full.pdf

Don't give up! Good luck to all those writing in the fall. 

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, Tapas77 said:

sat for SAMP today.

I ran out of time before answering 5 cases..

Anyone had a similar experience and pass SAMP//

I had the same experience 

11 hours ago, Tapas77 said:

sat for SAMP today.

I ran out of time before answering 5 cases..

Anyone had a similar experience and pass SAMP//

• 3 years later...