Premed 101 Forums

What Is Your Designation If You Attend A Do School But Complete An Md Residency?

SA95

Hello,

If you attend a DO school but do the USMLE and complete an MD residency, do you still put "DO" at the end of your name or is it "MD"?

Curious! :)

DO. But many places dont even put MD at the end of their name.

If youre worried about the letters, probably not a path for you. Leave it for others who want to be doctors.

Hello,

If you attend a DO school but do the USMLE and complete an MD residency, do you still put "DO" at the end of your name or is it "MD"? 

Curious! :)

Its DO, the reason being you graduated with a D.O. degree. I know people feel like it matters a lot while they are pre-med as I would have when I was one, but the further you get in your training the less those things matter. At the end of the day, no one in day to day activities uses DO or MD, people just use their name and their job title. Also keep in mind that in 20-30 years time these things will become less of a concern as more and more DO physicians graduate and the public begins to recognize that a doctor can be MD or DO. Its like in the UK different medical schools short form their degrees differently. 

MD and MDCM offered in Canada..

MD and DO in the U.S..

MBBS, BMBS, BM BChir, MBChB, MB BCh BAO  from the UK, Ireland etc 

If you're doctor is practicing in Canada as a physician they probably have one of the above degrees, and actual residency training which is what makes them a practicing physician and able to provide quality care.

Now, if you see ND...well that's when you should start getting worried ;) (Half-joking)

we also add things after the MD official after our names - our residency program gives us additional certification and ultimately is the higher designation. 

Right now I am Dr. rmorelan, M.D

hopefully in about a year I will be 

Dr. rmorelan, M.D, FRCPC

and eventually 

Dr. rmorelan, M.D, PHD, FRCPC

It isn't unusual for us to drop all that crap and just go with Dr. ABC. I mean it gets silly after a point - degree accumulate like moss on a tree - it just takes time. 

I mean come on - all of that is just fluff quickly, and no one cares about it. You are never going to introduce yourself as Dr ABC, MD except in a weird situation as your role would be pretty clear. 

Archived