Premed 101 Forums

Kind Of Embarrassing To Ask (Or Maybe Not?), But Here I Go.

Hi everyone,

I know a lot of you are getting nervous and anxious each day as 'The day' is approaching really fast..but my question isn't really related to OT, although I guess it could be.

I believe that everyone can have multiple careers if they wanted to and being an OT has been my dream ever since. However, I also have been thinking about doing Youtube. So, hypothetically speaking, if you got into OT, would you create a channel while you are in school, after you graduate and got the job, or just not do it at all?

I know a lot of hospitals and companies search applicant's social media and I'm nervous if even uploading a video (I don't know..a video of  me and my dog walking around the trail, or a video of me sending a video letter to my long distance cousins) would damage my chance of getting a OT position. Also, anyone can find anything on Youtube so I guess if a client finds my videos, I can see there could be a problem too. 

I'm assuming what kind of contents I want to create, but I'm just thinking of doing vlog type videos. I'm not trying to be a big 'Youtube celebrity' or make money off of Youtube, but I want to save my memories into videos instead of journals. i guess I can make videos private too. 

Thanks for reading this rambling message, but I wanted to ask people who are in the same professional as I am hoping for. 

That's an interesting question, not embarrassing at all.

I think if you keep your personal and professional life separate, it should be ok.

Definitely not embarrassing. Vlogging is the new blogging.

But yes. Keep personal and professional life separated. I'm not subscribed to her, but I think the angle and approach that strivetofit takes is a pretty professional one on YouTube. Just becareful as it can be used as evidence against you in future malpractice suits or as evidence for grounds for dismissal. 

Also, if you have the opportunity talk to the associate dean of the program and see what are some do's and don'ts. I don't know if every college/professional association has social media guidelines, but they should have some sort of guideline/protocol on communicating with the public.

I bet a lot of people would find it useful to see vlogs and YouTube videos about the application process for OT! I think so long as you are confidential and have a disclaimer that your opinions are your own and do not reflect the opinions of your school/employer/profession or the CAOT, then you would be fine. I would definitely look at the CAOT website and the governing body for the province you are in to see if there is anything in their professional guidelines that may limit how you create your videos or your content, though.

Oh wow, I didn't expect to get many responses! Thanks to everyone who left encouraging comments and giving me some ideas and tips.I was thinking not making any OT related videos because I wouldn't want a future hospital/workplace to be concerned of me talking about employers, staff, or the hospital/workplace itself. 

I googled some social media policies at various hospitals and I think the general rules are quite the same. It was a reminder for me that anyone who wants a career should be careful of what they post/share on social media. It's quite scary that anyone can find anyone's personal information just by typing someone's name.

Anyway, thank you again for the positive comments!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived